You are here

How do I connect Lexicon M200 to Mixwizard 3?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How do I connect Lexicon M200 to Mixwizard 3?

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:11 pm

In that pic you say you are sending the R output to the Rane EQ/Xover, it would be better if you sent to it from the Mono (bottom) output* as that is a mix of the right and left channels.

* As Hugh suggested.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:17 pm

Ok thx.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:26 pm

CS70 wrote:
mikehende wrote:Alright, let me see if I can understand what you've just written plus what CS70 has written.

No worries, this jargon is confusing at start.

So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to process a single mono signal ? You will need only one Y cable (TRS to two TS) , from the channel mixer insert point to the Left side of the Lexicon.

Do you want to process a stereo signal (for example, the entire stereo mix before it reaches the speakers)? Then you will need two Y cables: one for the Left, on for the Right.

Wow, thanks for taking the time and effort to give me this tutorial!

Yes, process a single mono signal [I think] since I am using only one stack of speakers.

I think I am going to have issues still with these 2 outboard fx units. I don't wish to frustrate you guys with this aspect, might be better if I wait until I can get my bud who does sound system installation over here but meantime I can at least try to see if I can get the units working.

So the current issue as I now seeing is the ST2 knob is working like a wet/dry mix knob and when I apply reverb it is decreasing the music's Audio level. This is an argument/discussion I had with my bud before. The way I had the fx connected on the Xone 23 was I ran the PC directly into the Pioneer Reverb's IN and then back out to the Line IN.

With that method applying the reverb was not decreasing the playing music's audio level as it is now with the ST2 control. I don't know if now with the ST2 knob acting like a wet/dry mix if that is the only way outboard fx units work with mixing boards?
mikehende
Regular

Postby CS70 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:01 pm

mikehende wrote:
CS70 wrote:
mikehende wrote:Alright, let me see if I can understand what you've just written plus what CS70 has written.

No worries, this jargon is confusing at start.

So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to process a single mono signal ? You will need only one Y cable (TRS to two TS) , from the channel mixer insert point to the Left side of the Lexicon.

Do you want to process a stereo signal (for example, the entire stereo mix before it reaches the speakers)? Then you will need two Y cables: one for the Left, on for the Right.

Wow, thanks for taking the time and effort to give me this tutorial!

Yes, process a single mono signal [I think] since I am using only one stack of speakers.

I think I am going to have issues still with these 2 outboard fx units. I don't wish to frustrate you guys with this aspect, might be better if I wait until I can get my bud who does sound system installation over here but meantime I can at least try to see if I can get the units working.

So the current issue as I now seeing is the ST2 knob is working like a wet/dry mix knob and when I apply reverb it is decreasing the music's Audio level. This is an argument/discussion I had with my bud before. The way I had the fx connected on the Xone 23 was I ran the PC directly into the Pioneer Reverb's IN and then back out to the Line IN.

With that method applying the reverb was not decreasing the playing music's audio level as it is now with the ST2 control. I don't know if now with the ST2 knob acting like a wet/dry mix if that is the only way outboard fx units work with mixing boards?

Yeah if you use an insert, the path will literaally go trhu the Lexi all the time.

Basically <source> --> mixer --> lexicon in --> lexicon out --> mixer --> main out

So the mix control will literally control the amount of wet/dry signal - reducing the dry when you increase the wet.

If you want to simply *add* the reverb without changing the dry level, it's simple:

you have to send the source on an aux (you do that by turning up a knob on the mixer channel where you have your source ), have the lexicon as an insert on the aux (with its mix knob all the way to WET) and then use the AUX fader to increase the reverb

Code: Select all
<source> -------> channel ---> main out
         --aux--> reverb all wet --> main out
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mikehende » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:24 pm

CS70 wrote:
mikehende wrote:
CS70 wrote:If you want to simply *add* the reverb without changing the dry level, it's simple:

you have to send the source on an aux (you do that by turning up a knob on the mixer channel where you have your source ), have the lexicon as an insert on the aux (with its mix knob all the way to WET) and then use the AUX fader to increase the reverb

Code: Select all
<source> -------> channel ---> main out
         --aux--> reverb all wet --> main out

Well, thanks a lot but sorry unfortunately it's not all that clear to me :) so let me try to clarify in slo-mo please and let's use the Pioneer Reverb which has a basic dual RCA Input and Output.

So I connect the PC's Out [dual RCA] to a Line IN then Aux1SEND to the Pioneer's IN L and R with a Y cable. Then the Pioneer's OUT goes to??? Since as you know I am having trouble with the mixing board's workings, if you can guide me in this format then it will be easier for me to get it done? Sorry for the trouble.
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 pm

mikehende wrote:So I connect the PC's Out [dual RCA] to a Line IN then Aux1SEND to the Pioneer's IN L and R with a Y cable. Then the Pioneer's OUT goes to??? Since as you know I am having trouble with the mixing board's workings, if you can guide me in this format then it will be easier for me to get it done? Sorry for the trouble.

Yes that sounds right - and I think you had the output of the Pioneer going to the ST2 input? As far as I can see it might be better in the ST1 input but another alternative is to return it to a pair of the normal inputs - usually the right most channels (15 and 16 in your case). Returning effects to normal input channels gives you maximum versatility so that you can then change the sound of the effects with eq and start doing strange things like feeding one effect back to itself or out to another effect.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikehende » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:29 am

Thanks, will try out your instructions in the morning and report back.

To clarify, when you say "normal input" you mean the Line Input?

Also, assuming I should get the Pioneer to work as advised, any idea how to connect the lexicon to get the same from the Lexicon please?
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:21 am

James Perrett wrote:Yes that sounds right - and I think you had the output of the Pioneer going to the ST2 input? As far as I can see it might be better in the ST1 input but another alternative is to return it to a pair of the normal inputs - usually the right most channels (15 and 16 in your case). Returning effects to normal input channels gives you maximum versatility so that you can then change the sound of the effects with eq and start doing strange things like feeding one effect back to itself or out to another effect.

Works exactly as you said! Got both units now working with the sliders on 13 and 14, 15 and 16. Will do some more equalizing tomorrow and report back, thanks a million guys!
mikehende
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:01 am

I’ve got the 14-4–2, two of my effects come back on ST1/2, which can be routed to the stereo channels if needed, trouble with this is it’s OK if you’re using those effects on sources that don’t use those stereo channels, because if you route the FX to a source that does use them, you end up with a feedback loop, and two sources end up sharing the same EQ as well, not ideal, I always use stereo 1/2 routed to the main mix if I know I’m going to be using a stereo instrument channel.
A way around this is to use one of the A/B outs, to send an alternative mix to a new effect, that comes back on a normal input channel, but you need groups to select from to do this.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 am

mikehende wrote:
James Perrett wrote:Yes that sounds right - and I think you had the output of the Pioneer going to the ST2 input? As far as I can see it might be better in the ST1 input but another alternative is to return it to a pair of the normal inputs - usually the right most channels (15 and 16 in your case). Returning effects to normal input channels gives you maximum versatility so that you can then change the sound of the effects with eq and start doing strange things like feeding one effect back to itself or out to another effect.

Works exactly as you said! Got both units now working with the sliders on 13 and 14, 15 and 16. Will do some more equalizing tomorrow and report back, thanks a million guys!

Sorry forgot to reply but glad James did and that you're sorted.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby mikehende » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Np, you've helped enough too, thanks! :)

Guys I having trouble understanding these 2 concepts, what I am seeing on the net is not doing it for me so can you guys explain by giving an example of what a pre fader does and also Inserts please?
mikehende
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:57 pm

Pre-fader means the send is tapped before the channel fader, you'd use it if you wanted a separate mix to, say, a stage monitor/foldback for the singer to hear without it changing every time the sound guy made something louder in the main PA. Post-fader is for things that got to the main PA from a channel like reverb, that way when the sound guy makes the vocals louder the vocal reverb gets louder too.For your use I'd try both pre and post fader sends as they will sound different (set both fx fully wet (i.e. no original signal going through them only the effected signal) then you can mix the fx with the main, dry, signal using the ST13-14 and ST 15-16 faders.

Inserts are sockets that let you 'insert' an fx unit in the middle (usually between the gain and eq) of a channel or bus so that the signal leaves the channel/bus (send), goes through the fx unit, and pops back into the channel/bus (return) immediately after. You need a Y cable with, usually, a TRS jack on one end and two TS jacks on the other. Plugging something in there interrupts the signal flow through the channel so if you plug a cable in there but don't plug that cables two ends (send and return) into something else or get them the wrong way around, you'll hear nowt.

HTH
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mikehende » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:36 pm

Thanks Sam, let me wrap my head around it.

I did a lot of experimenting today guys and sorry still not satisfied with the fx. It sounds a hell of a lot better and works to perfection running the PC's OUT directly into the fx machines then back out into the line. I don't get why everyone is against this if this is the way it sounds best, I just don't get that??
mikehende
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:12 pm

I can't help but feel this thread would benefit greatly from a diagram or two.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: How do I connect Lexicon MX200 to Mixwizard 3?

Postby N i g e l » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:00 pm

diagram showing the different routing options for the 2 processors in the MX200

N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext