You are here

How to record bicycle rides with minimum wind noise?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: How to record bicycle rides with minimum wind noise?

Postby N i g e l » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:49 pm

-sandro- wrote:Even at 24v?

I cant help you with that I am afraid. My stereo pair [SE1a] are only spec'd at 48V. My RodeNT1 has interference at 48V but is OK at 24V but then a pair might be the same as 1 at 48V.
2x 24 = 48 ?

My use cases only involve the external line inputs & internal mics, never the phantom, so I was happy with the functionality/price. I ve put two recordings up here...

https://soundcloud.com/user-160908912

Recorded on auto in mp3 unfortunately ! and trimmed in mp3Direct.
watchout for the loud bit in "glass", that was my main interest there, so the hiss isnt a problem.

Some of the hiss in "Birds" is main road noise. It was during lockdown#1 when the birds were particularly chirpy.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:54 pm

It may well be that the phantom power noise is dependent on the microphone's current draw. The more thirsty the mic the more strain on the Dc-Dc converter.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby N i g e l » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:59 pm

yes definitely.

with phantom switched on & no mics, you can hear the pump up at the begining but then thats it [as far as Ive bothered to listen].
Presumeably because theres no current draw to droop the voltage.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser828745 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:36 am

i have been through this routine a few times. Generally i would use a separate mic (into a Zoom H2N which has crap preamps too). Occasionally i haven't been able to do that. What i did was construct a 'rube goldberg' contraption out of bailing wire, bunjy straps, nylon tie wraps, wood, nylon stockings and fake fur. Basically 2 layers of stocking stretched completely over a wire frame with the unit covered in a pocket i made out of fake fur. This is not an ideal solution but it workred for me in northern NM USA where the winds are intense. One of the drawbacks is that you have to 'set it n forget it' meaning once the whole thing is together there is no way to change the settings so there will be much editing later.
forumuser828745

Postby -sandro- » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:35 pm

So I received the em272 from micbooster and used them via phantom power
https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-plugg ... phone.html

I put these on them
https://micbooster.com/clippy-and-plugg ... hield.html
https://micbooster.com/microphone-winds ... phone.html

The results were somewhat better but still in general way too distorted for my taste even though when applying a HPF (in post) at 240hz it was starting to be usable at times.
Do you think I could get a better result with these ?
https://www.bubblebeeindustries.com/col ... 8407557123

this guy says they work up to 25km/h which would be perfect for my speeds
https://acousticnature.com/journal/ulti ... n-a-budget

Anyway should it make a difference applying the high pass filter directly on the tascam dr40 vs in post processing?
-sandro-
Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:18 pm

I’ll just point out that if there’s any wind, then if you are cycling into it, then its speed (or a proportion of if it’s to one side) will be added to your cycling speed. So very easy to exceed that 25km/h.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Eching what Wonks said, that 25kph figure is only for when you are static and the raw wind speed is measurable, like in the weather forecast. If you're moving as well, all bets are off. As already pointed out, your body causes wind turbulence so the apparent wind speed is not the only factor. The turbulence is concentrating it.

Personally I think their 25kph figure is close to the edge. I've been in those conditions with the Zoom windshield, it's very similar to the Rycote. There will be some wind noise and while it's not too bad it's definitely not as good as using a blimp which is pretty much immune in those conditions.

I also tried the Zoom windshield cycling, and the results are unuseable.

-sandro- wrote:Anyway should it make a difference applying the high pass filter directly on the tascam dr40 vs in post processing?
No, because the noise is being caused directly on the mic. As already pointed out, the only solution is to create a space around the mic, then cover that i.e. a blimp.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby -sandro- » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 am

If some manufacturers sold an alternative cheaper and very small version of a blimp it would great. It's unimaginable for me to pay €500 for that, even half that it's way too much.
Unfortunately I suck at DIY.
-sandro-
Poster

Postby Vox Gnus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:12 pm

After some experiments, I've found decent results with a pair of tiny Omni mics inside a time trial helmet (with visor). These are specifically made to get through the air a cleanly as possible (with matching skin suit, aero bike etc). Placement of the mics out of any turbulence is critical, as is the angle of your head.

A good time trial helmet isn't cheap, though. Unless you're very lucky in your search, it may cost more than a proper audio blimp. But you can find some older models cheap, as racers strive for the latest and greatest.

Oh, and you might get some pretty strange looks...
Vox Gnus
Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:00 pm

-sandro- wrote: It's unimaginable for me to pay €500 for that, even half that it's way too much.
Rode Blimp 2 is €211 from Thomann, that's not even half :) It does the job you need. You could always search for a used one.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous