You are here

Connecting Behringer UMC204HD to mixing desk/multitrack

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Connecting Behringer UMC204HD to mixing desk/multitrack

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:31 pm

The only dumb question is the one you wanted to ask but didn't. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mstr.niggles » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:07 pm

The only dumb question is the one you wanted to ask but didn't.

Sounds like my cue :headbang:... and sorry to join the party late.

So, if I could just clarify what I think I'm reading... plugging unbalanced audio on a 1/4" TS cable into the front of the UMC204HD is going to be OK? No forest fires or wars will break out?

I also read somewhere there was a funky way of using the inserts on the rear of the unit, which bypassed the preamp circuit and generally improved everything - anyone else hear about this?

I have a 204 in my rig already for introducing NI Maschine into a live DJ setup - simple RCA to RCA into the mixer - but I never used 204's inputs before. Recently dusted off the ol' Technics and several tons of vinyl, and now thinking about using the 204 for both ripping and also sampling into Maschine (all beforehand, not live).

As my phono preamp has unbal. RCAs out, wondering if I need to DI these :boring: or whether the 204 can just handle it if I use a short RCA to 1/4" TS?

Muchas gracias
mstr.niggles

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:42 pm

I'd just use short phono to TS cables straight into the front of the Behringer unit. The line inputs are designed to handle the output of other electronic devices like your preamp. There may be an absolutely minute change in quality between the front inputs and using the insert returns but, given that the source is vinyl with all its inherent imperfections, you are unlikely to be able to hear it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mstr.niggles » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:37 pm

The line inputs are designed to handle the output of other electronic devices like your preamp.

Thanks so much for confirming that, and your other comments. Really appreciated.
:thumbup:
mstr.niggles

Previous