You are here

Planting your studio.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Planting your studio.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:47 pm

My studio, or basement, is becoming populated by "gardens" of equipment, that just get left in random places, they suggest other gear, and they grow, I’m connecting these little flowering beds with cables, into my main mixer, it’s quite interesting how they evolve, from random bits and pieces, stuff from the loft, in storage, stuff I don’t use, all gets composted into new systems.
I’m not making any effort to organise anything anything now, one is an old coffee table with a compressor, a Mackie mixer, an Alesis Micron, a Monotron Delay, Quadraverb, an old cassette deck, it’s great just using what’s dumped there, seeing what comes out, and adding to them.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Planting your studio.

Postby Albatross » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Oh that's lovely. I'm the polar opposite and go for a very utilitarian approach where I have the bare minimum of gear as invisible as possible. I'd be happy if there were some type of spirit engineer with transparent equipment who would record me whenever I felt like it without my having to do anything except play and sing. I've just had a couple of days or reorganising and taking stuff out. The more elbow room the better.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:15 am

Alba wrote:Oh that's lovely. I'm the polar opposite and go for a very utilitarian approach where I have the bare minimum of gear as invisible as possible. I'd be happy if there were some type of spirit engineer with transparent equipment who would record me whenever I felt like it without my having to do anything except play and sing. I've just had a couple of days or reorganising and taking stuff out. The more elbow room the better.

I like your idea of the "spirit engineer" I feel like that sometimes.
On the whole, worrying and thinking too deeply about working methods ultimately, gets us nowhere, I’ve abandoned that now, completely, that’s why these little piles of gear are sprouting up, I could easily work with minimal equipment, I did for years, but this not caring, just organically letting stuff accumulate, in unpredictable combinations, is interesting, no way of working is the best, it’s just different, and we, are all different.
Whatever, the music just comes out, regardless, and that should be the same for all of us.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:42 am

Reminds me of my wife, she's very accomplished and successful in her particular field, only pertinent here in this discussion because she works in a complete mess (well a mess to me but not to her). I mean her office is a total sh!t hole and I'm not joking, its an embarrassment. Impossible to clean and hasn't been cleaned since I don't know when. I go in there and scream! There are piles of papers everywhere, pens run out, they just get pushed onto the floor, she is so focused she has no time for 'order' but she knows where everything is, somehow. And the output is amazing. I gave up trying to change her years ago.

Me? If there's something resting on the back of my keyboard I can't play it. :?
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:54 am

Alba wrote:Reminds me of my wife, she's very accomplished and successful in her particular field, only pertinent here in this discussion because she works in a complete mess (well a mess to me but not to her). I mean her office is a total sh!t hole and I'm not joking, its an embarrassment. Impossible to clean and hasn't been cleaned since I don't know when. I go in there and scream! There are piles of papers everywhere, pens run out, they just get pushed onto the floor, she is so focused she has no time for 'order' but she knows where everything is, somehow. And the output is amazing. I gave up trying to change her years ago.

Me? If there's something resting on the back of my keyboard I can't play it. :?

Again, I was like that too, anything out of place and I was incapable of doing anything.
But I got ill, and things changed, my place got into a real mess, and from then on, I didn’t care anymore, still don’t.
Tidy, or not, it doesn’t seem to make any difference, I’ve recorded some great pieces with a friend, with stuff just dumped on the floor and I’m sitting cross-legged in the middle of a total mess, keyboard on my lap, or, another friend, he’s the opposite, fiendishly organised and amazingly tidy, but good stuff again.
I think maybe these different circumstances produce different results, maybe, not good or bad, different, because the environment pushes us in a particular direction, the way things are organised, what’s in reach, where they are placed, I’m interested in my little "gardens" for that very reason, to see what may happen that’s different.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:18 am

Funny actually, she got ill. Maybe illness is makes us see what's really important in life.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:51 am

Alba wrote:Funny actually, she got ill. Maybe illness is makes us see what's really important in life.

Yes, it does.
It also focuses us artistically, you see what's important, and what’s not important, anymore.
We are here on this forum because we are interested in the things that instruments, equipment can do for us, I get a lot of help, technically here, directly, or by reading other people’s posts.
But what this forum can’t do, and that applies to any forum, or individual, is to guide us spiritually, provide the Shamanistic magic that happens when we connect with a piece of equipment, an instrument, our preferred working environments, that’s completely, and utterly, down to us to find out, and some people never find out, and that’s very sad.
No one can hold our hand on this journey, we are alone, we have to make our own way, some find that way at a very early age, like that young pianist over at Musicians Lounge, some of us struggle, and find it later in life, others don’t find it at all, and may have to come this way again, they will then find it easier, as they have the experience of a previous life to build upon, that’s my opinion, that we have more than one chance, people we call "geniuses" or very gifted people, are here from a previous life, they’ve already had experience, and they are just building on that experience, and they seem gifted, to us.
Just my spiritual beliefs, don’t take them too seriously.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:49 pm

That's a very nice way of looking at things, honestly. I wish I had those kinds of beliefs, but I don't.
manwilde
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:26 pm

manwilde wrote:That's a very nice way of looking at things, honestly. I wish I had those kinds of beliefs, but I don't.

Well, they are beliefs that come and go for me, that seem to have a grain of truth about them sometimes, just enough to make me think hmmmm?
All I know is that the material world of plastic, wood metal, instruments etc, is a very small part in the grand scheme of artistic achievement, as musicians we attach great importance to them, that’s not true about creative tools across the hoard, artists brushes, yeah, sort of essential, canvas, no, you can use a toilet roll if need be, or your finger to paint.
Painters, visual artists, don’t have this fascination or concern that some musicians have about the tools of the job.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby manwilde » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Totally agree. Regarding sound recording/mixing, you can really tell more and more self-recording musicians just looking for new sound toys to play with, instead of getting on with the music. Not that playing with toys is a bad thing, but young people seem to think they "need" this or that toy in order to make something sound good. And then when they ask here for advice and get the super boring answers ("treat your room", "try different mic positionings", etc.) they don´t like it.
I used to be young, too... :lol:
manwilde
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 am

manwilde wrote:Totally agree. Regarding sound recording/mixing, you can really tell more and more self-recording musicians just looking for new sound toys to play with, instead of getting on with the music. Not that playing with toys is a bad thing, but young people seem to think they "need" this or that toy in order to make something sound good. And then when they ask here for advice and get the super boring answers ("treat your room", "try different mic positionings", etc.) they don´t like it.
I used to be young, too... :lol:

I don’t want to judge anyone, someone sitting playing with toys, it’s their money, their life, and it probably involves some form of healthy therapy, great, it’s all valid, right up to professional world class musicians and everyone in between.
But, I do get a "bit edgy" when I hear things like "I can’t make music because I haven’t got that UAD Apollo, or that Yamaha Montage 88 write me a check mum!
A friend got me going one day, he was talking about becoming a photographer, he "needed" a top draw Nicon with all the lenses, an i Mac and Photoshop, otherwise "there was just no point"
If you’ve got parents that are rich enough good luck to you, go for it, but most people haven’t, and I always admire those that make do, and come up with ingenious ideas and work-arounds, that way of working teaches you a lot, and really does stimulate your imagination (BIG-TIME!) and makes you appreciate what you’ve got.
I still love kicking about in the gutter, making do, it’s a hang over from when I didn’t have anything, or much money, that’s why I like messing around with these little piles of stuff, little studios in their own right, just to see what I can do with them, it’s a challenge.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:36 pm

With the exception of a couple of my guitars, and my monitoring chain, everything in my studio is pretty much bargain basement. None of that matters as long as the single greatest limiting factor is me.
I could spend a thousand pounds on xyz gadget, or I could spend that money on some one-to-one tuition with some of the good people of this forum.
Anyone care to lay a wager on which might produce better results? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Albatross » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:31 pm

I picked up a pair of Tascam US122s from eBay and paid £15 for one and £12 for the other. I have one on an old Acer laptop you could probably buy for £25 and add a couple of 57s or similar and a copy of Reaper or something and you could make a record on that rig given some instruments and talent and a room.

The quality of the most basic equipment available these days for buttons is astounding. We would have wet ourselves with joy if we'd had this stuff back in the 70s and 80s. We had to mortgage our kidneys for a mediocre 8-Track back then.

But everything is relative. It must be difficult starting out now because there's a whole online industry poking this stuff down people's throats and the discipline required to sail ones artistic ship straight through all the noise must be immense.

Things were a lot simpler and we had limited options back in the day. Less confusion.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:27 am

Alba wrote:the discipline required to sail ones artistic ship straight through all the noise must be immense.

That’s a great way of putting it, avoiding the noise?
If you are chosen to be a channel through which music can flow, to be a "musician" your guardian Angel will guide you, you won’t have to do anything, just follow, all will be fine.
The problems come when the demons try and distract you, these demons come in many forms, sometimes masquerading as friends, avoid, and their distractions are not related to music.
If you are chosen, you will know what tools you need to realise your "responsibility" and deliver your message as a musician, no amount of marketing will affect this, you can be a childhood prodigy violinist, and you’re instrument will be bought when you are young, and last you until you leave this life, it will be all you’ll ever need, that’s one example, the other example is the musician drawn to electronics, and the technology of his/her time, you will wander into exploration, and that’s fine, but if you are chosen it won’t distract you, it’s just the path you’ll take, albeit a different and more complex one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:42 am

This is what I’m talking about, what a perfect little "garden" beautiful.
I’ve got about three little beds like this now, and they are a great way of making excuses to buy new pedals, and use up redundant gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_crz5uGegdo
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next