You are here

Planting your studio.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Planting your studio.

Postby uselessoldman » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:12 pm

There is a difference between the professional who buys what they need to get the job done to the level of quality they so desire. Then there is the enthusiast whose more the hobbyist attracted by the unknown "what if" scenario or that looks like fun and just got to try it just for the sake of trying playing owning. There is no specific objective or path, they meander down holes avenues without a specific goal in mind.

I have many a friend who are either one or the other, me I am without doubt the hobbyist, and a bad one. Whilst I have good friends who might only own 3 guitars, play a specific one almost every night another as backup and probably an acoustic, use one amp and one cab and their effects box has hardly changed in 20 yrs. Its not about the toys and gizmos for them its about the music. Probably good enough to have made it professionally but now have a good day time job so music is their relaxation time, a bit of fun.

Yes it is nice to be smothered and surrounded with toys, we are after all only grown up teenagers, but I confess, some of us take it a little to far. For some its just lucky they have the money to indulge, so why not? So there we have it, our toy room. Some might call it a studio, or even a music room, but for some of us, its just a fun place to be... full of things to play with. Somethings in life never change, a kid always have their favourites but there is nothing better than getting something new
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 am

uselessoldman wrote:There is a difference between the professional who buys what they need to get the job done to the level of quality they so desire. Then there is the enthusiast whose more the hobbyist attracted by the unknown "what if" scenario or that looks like fun and just got to try it just for the sake of trying playing owning. There is no specific objective or path, they meander down holes avenues without a specific goal in mind.

I have many a friend who are either one or the other, me I am without doubt the hobbyist, and a bad one. Whilst I have good friends who might only own 3 guitars, play a specific one almost every night another as backup and probably an acoustic, use one amp and one cab and their effects box has hardly changed in 20 yrs. Its not about the toys and gizmos for them its about the music. Probably good enough to have made it professionally but now have a good day time job so music is their relaxation time, a bit of fun.

Yes it is nice to be smothered and surrounded with toys, we are after all only grown up teenagers, but I confess, some of us take it a little to far. For some its just lucky they have the money to indulge, so why not? So there we have it, our toy room. Some might call it a studio, or even a music room, but for some of us, its just a fun place to be... full of things to play with. Somethings in life never change, a kid always have their favourites but there is nothing better than getting something new

Interesting, I don’t differentiate between professional and curious amateur, or hobbyist, although hobbyist does grate a bit, there’s something a bit dismissive about it.
I think this came up in another thread, but those that put the main emphasis on playing with, or collecting equipment, get enjoyment from doing so, even though the music may not be primary, if that’s what they want to do fine.
For me, the music has always been what motivates me, I "vaguely" know what I want to do, sometimes! and I have a hard core of essential things that are my "bread and butter" tools, on top of that I have things that may help, that are experiments, failed or otherwise.
Interesting thing, I could easily do the "essence" of what I do with hardly anything, and at one point I was tempted to adjust my system to just the things that were really successful, that gave great results live, in pieces that people liked, so, if I did this I’d be doing what I really hate, in myself and others, and that’s "playing to the audience"
Worst thing you can do, it takes me nowhere, you’re safe, you know what works, no, definitely not going to happen.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am

Music or any art has always been an ecosystem, a culture and pretty much everyone involved goes to make up the whole. More so than ever now because we have this global electronic consciousness and every man and his dog is feeding into it.

But if you buy a bit of kit and ring up support or don't buy a certain colour of pedal, all these decisions and ideas go to make the whole. Hobbyists, pros ... they all contribute in their own way. Put a piece you've done on Soundband or somewhere, it might influence someone, your idea might end up on a big record.

Art is a calling, you can't get away from it. God knows, everyone I know who does art has hated its influence on their life at some point but they always get dragged back. People sometimes say to me things like, its so nice that you can play, I wish I could, I'd love to be able to do that. I often respond, "Its a curse .... sometimes."
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:30 am

Albatross wrote:People sometimes say to me things like, its so nice that you can play, I wish I could, I'd love to be able to do that. I often respond, "Its a curse .... sometimes."

If you didn’t play, or had never played, would just sitting on the porch watching the world go by have any more or any less meaning, than playing, or doing anything?
Once we’ve given those things equal meaning, nothing is important anymore, and we become free, that’s when we do interesting things artistically, when we have that perspective.
We have to let go, of all the importance given to art, dumped upon it, to be like a child, pointless, it’s impossible, but it’s worth it at least, trying to hold on to that.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:54 am

That is a thought I will keep with me now forever.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby FrankF » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:26 am

Arpangel wrote:This is what I’m talking about, what a perfect little "garden" beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_crz5uGegdo

That is quite lovely: Harold Budd meets Rick Deckard (but not in Taffy's Bar).
FrankF
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:37 am

FrankF wrote:
Arpangel wrote:This is what I’m talking about, what a perfect little "garden" beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_crz5uGegdo

That is quite lovely: Harold Budd meets Rick Deckard (but not in Taffy's Bar).

Yeah, it’s good isn’t it! Goes some way in encouraging me to avoid making wet fart sounds, and other digestive noises that my modular emits from time to time.
We need a Modular Doctor someone who can hand out music on prescription "I think you should take 2000mg of Frank Sinatra today, followed by 3000mg of Captain Beefheart, after meals.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:05 am

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous