You are here

I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Postby MickHz » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:19 pm

H
I am currently using a pair of sE Electronics SE4 mics and I find the top end slightly gritty - for want of a better word. These go straight into a Presonus AR16 desk using phantom power.

My main guitar is a Lowden O25.

Can anyone suggest a pair of mics that would give me a notieable upgrade?

Alternatively, could buying a new preamp to use with my existing mics, give me a better route to what I am after?

My budget is around £800.

Many thanks.
MickHz
New here

Re: I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Postby CS70 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:32 pm

The usual comment is that first thing you should look at is the acoustics of your room and if you have control of its sound.

Because if you don't, getting that fixed will pay off much more than any new mic or preamp.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:34 pm

...as above.

And then get a pair of Rode NT55s.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:30 pm

I very much doubt you'll get a noticeable improvement by changing your pre-amp. Might be worth considering a ribbon or two. At which point it's also worth thinking about using MS as an approach, which allows potentially a little more flexibility on your mic pairing.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:34 pm

I'd start off by buying a pair of Line Audio CM4's. They're well under budget but are often compared to much more expensive mics because they're free of the normal vices associated with budget mics. You could spend the rest of the budget on room treatment or a more unusual mic.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DanDan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:35 pm

Unless this is a classical context, recording a distant soundfield in a reverberant space, IMO Stereo Acoustic guitar is an odd concept. Any movement will cause large shifts of image.
DanDan
Regular
Dan FitzGerald MIOA  MAES
www.irishacoustics.com
www.soundsound.ie

Postby Watchmaker » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:06 am

I picked a pair of CM4's and a pair of Oktava MK-012's recently, both very nice. The Oktava's are currently being used to record a Martin GP-35 to great effect, the CM4's being committed to overheads. In my space the CM4's are "better" at both tasks which is why they're on the drums. $375 USD for the CM4's with shock mounts, $500 for the MK-012 with cardioid and omni capsules so for your budget you can come away loaded and have a few clams left over for acoustic treatment!

I feel much better about my options now that I have 2 pairs of SDCs on offer.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Skepticism is a fundamental component of science.

Postby MickHz » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
I hadn't heard of the CM4 mics, so thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look into them.

I recently borrowed a friend's pair of AKG C214 mics and they were a definate improvement over my SE4s. The treble was more enhanced yet also smoother. I'd call it 'more silvery' :¬).

Obviously they cost quite a bit more than both the SE4s and the CM4s but purely as a reference, does anyone know how the CM4s compare with C214s?
MickHz
New here

Postby Aled Hughes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:42 pm

Always worth looking at what Beyerdynamic have to offer in any price range. I have a pair of the old MC834 side-address SDC’s and they’re great. Closest current equivalent would probably be MC930, though I haven’t used them. They’re more typical end-address mics.

Line Audio are also a good shout - I own a pair of OM1.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby Jack Ruston » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 pm

I heard a recording of the JZ V67 on acoustic guitar recently, and thought it was REALLY nice.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:05 pm

I know it’s coming down market a bit, but I recorded an acoustic Gypsy folk player, he had a wonderful guitar, and all we used was a pair of SE Electronics SE1’s, they surprised me, it sounded really good! probably suited the sound of the guitar, voice.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby rggillespie » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:10 am

I’ve been very impressed with Rode tf5 pair for recording my acoustics, not cheap but easily the best recordings I’ve managed have been with them.
rggillespie
Regular

Postby MickHz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks for the extra suggestions.
Those Rode TF-5 mics look rather nice - although they are outside of my current budget.
Who knows though...Once live music starts up again I'll have more cash to spend on new gear! :D
MickHz
New here

Postby CS70 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:43 pm

MickHz wrote:Thanks for all of your suggestions.
I hadn't heard of the CM4 mics, so thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look into them.

I recently borrowed a friend's pair of AKG C214 mics and they were a definate improvement over my SE4s. The treble was more enhanced yet also smoother. I'd call it 'more silvery' :¬).

Obviously they cost quite a bit more than both the SE4s and the CM4s but purely as a reference, does anyone know how the CM4s compare with C214s?

I've got and use a pair of CM4s and I've recorded in the past with (borrowed) 214. I can't really say much about the difference because I never A/Bed and don't remember enough, but in general I like LDCs better than SDCs on acoustic guitar, even with good SDCs (haven't tried KM84s however), exactly because of the top end. I dont' have a big problem with a bit of more smearing of bass and mids. Most likely my lack of skills with SDCs though.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Inglis » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:33 pm

It's been a long time, but I once took part in a mic comparison on acoustic guitar and we all felt the SE4 was actually really good. Pretty sure everyone present preferred it to the Rode NT5 for example. The AKG C214 is a large-diaphragm mic and will sound somewhat different for that reason -- less natural but perhaps in an attractive way!

You could maybe investigate the Warm Audio WA-84, which is a copy of the Neumann KM84, a mic lots of people love on acoustic guitar. Those tend to give a fairly warm, woody sound.
Sam Inglis

Next