You are here

I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Postby CS70 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:22 pm

blinddrew wrote:Stewart Tavener (Xaudia / Extinct Audio chap) used to have a weird stereo LDC (can't remember the make unfortunately) with the two capsules on top of each other, and the top one could be rotated through 180 degrees (IIRC).
We found this gave some very nice results sat roughly in front of the 12th fret with one capsule pointing at the body and the other pointing up the neck. It being a variable recording angle you could could make sure that you weren't creating a ridiculously wide guitar image.
Which you could do with a normal X-Y as well of course.

Vanguard does one like that - https://vanguardaudiolabs.com/products/ ... condenser/ and I've read good things about that. And Peluso as well https://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com/mic ... /SR14.html

Without trying it is a jump in the dark but I'm considering as an alternative to the Coles (which I've been looking at exactly as a stereo mic)
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: I'm after advice/suggestions for a matched pair of mics for recording acoustic guitar.

Postby Kwackman » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:25 pm

blinddrew wrote:Stewart Tavener (Xaudia / Extinct Audio chap) used to have a weird stereo LDC (can't remember the make unfortunately) with the two capsules on top of each other, and the top one could be rotated through 180 degrees (IIRC). .

Neumann SM69?
Bob B from NZ showed us one at the last Zoom meet up.

https://en-de.neumann.com/sm-69
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Cubase, guitars.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:06 pm

Definitely wasn't a Neumann, even at that point in my ignorance I'd heard of them. It looked similar to the Vanguard one that CS70 linked above but pretty sure it was something else. Stewart has a fine line in odd microphones so I'll just ask him. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:17 pm

blinddrew wrote:Stewart Tavener (Xaudia / Extinct Audio chap) used to have a weird stereo LDC (can't remember the make unfortunately) with the two capsules on top of each other, and the top one could be rotated through 180 degrees (IIRC).

They were very popular for a while. The ones I know best are AKG's valve C24 (a stereo C12) and then the fet-based C422 and C426. (There was also the C34 which was similar but used small diaphragm capsules). Neumann had the valve ST2 originally , then the valve SM69, SM69fet (which I have and it's a very lovely mic), and the current USM69. And there were others from other manufacturers in the same format of one fixed and one rotating capsule, both with selectable polar patterns.

In the 70s there were also special quadraphonic versions like the AKG C424 and Neumann QM69 which brought out both sides of both capsules giving orthogonal pairs of back-to-back cardioids.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby DC-Choppah » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 pm

After trying a bunch of mics for acoustic guitar, I found these guys to be my favorite.

Sony SM81
Sony KSM137

I use them pointed at different parts of the guitar so they have different tone. Then I blend them. I feel like the KSM137 picks up more bottom end so they compliment each other.

Or you could get a matched pair of either one.

These mics just sound right on guitar. They git rid of that scratchy sound you refer to.

I use them on piano too. They sound great to my ears.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:50 pm

Drew, I'm afraid not, certainly not without listening to quite a lot of music to find those examples. And it might not be X/Y being used but a vertically aligned top and bottom mic. However the general effect would be similar, with the low strings mainly in one mic and the high strings in the other. They've then been panned with a wide panning angle between the tracks, which certainly gives movement but no sense of reality.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm

Interesting. I shall keep an ear out for it as it's not something I've ever noticed before.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby jimjazzdad » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:30 am

With all this talk of coincident mics, I should say that I really like MS on acoustic guitar. I also prefer SDCs for the faster transient response. Schoeps MK8 + MK21 (or even MK2) does it for me.
jimjazzdad
Regular
Halifax, NS, CANADA

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:06 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

They were very popular for a while. The ones I know best are AKG's valve C24 (a stereo C12) and then the fet-based C422 and C426. (There was also the C34 which was similar but used small diaphragm capsules). Neumann had the valve ST2 originally , then the valve SM69, SM69fet (which I have and it's a very lovely mic), and the current USM69. And there were others from other manufacturers in the same format of one fixed and one rotating capsule, both with selectable polar patterns.

In the 70s there were also special quadraphonic versions like the AKG C424 and Neumann QM69 which brought out both sides of both capsules giving orthogonal pairs of back-to-back cardioids.
It was an AKG C422. In case anyone was wondering and losing sleep... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:21 pm

Nice mic. I always considered it essentially to be two C414s in a more convenient package (just as the SM69fet is akin a pair of U87s). It is a mainstay of BBC radio drama!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am

I was always very happy with the sound we got but I suspect that was as much down to the room and Stew's experience with positioning.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous