You are here

Minimal gear for DI guitar/bass recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Minimal gear for DI guitar/bass recording

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am

mnearents wrote:I guess I'm a little worried about the preamp quality of my Scarlett Solo. So I wasn't sure if it was sufficient.

It emphatically is.

If you want more details, have a look at my blog post here.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby BobTheDog » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:01 pm

CS70 wrote:
ef37a wrote:
CS70 wrote:
ef37a wrote:I agree with the others that "it is not about the gear" but not completely perhaps.

Mostly :lol:

Oh? I have followed your arguments pretty well in the "F'rite" debacle (although writing drivers is total Greek to me) But that response I do not get?

Dave.

Apologies for being too cryptic. If you click the link, you find a video of Zakk Wylde playing a beautiful rendition of a Black Sabbath song on a Hello Kitty guitar. :D

When it comes to guitar playing, it's mostly not about the gear, but the player. A good player makes a toy guitar sound good, a bad player makes the best and most expensive gear sound bad.

Within reason, of course. Hence the "mostly". :)

Those Hello Kitty guitars were pretty good, I got one for my niece I guess around 10 years ago and was really surprised how good it was to play.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby TheLegit » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:43 pm

Bass compressor into a Darkglass pedal (B7K Ultra or Vintage Deluxe) then into your interface and then use an IR solution running a bass cab IR works nicely. Two Notes Wall of Sound for the IR software, the IRs are nothing £10-£20. Get a great bass sound for way less than £1000. You can then spend the rest on funky bass pedals like Octaves, chorus etc :headbang:

For clarity IRs are software simulations of bass and guitar cabs that work a treat.
TheLegit
Regular

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:31 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Those Hello Kitty guitars were pretty good, I got one for my niece I guess around 10 years ago and was really surprised how good it was to play.

Coming to drums, Mike Portnoy doesn't seem to like the Kitty kits, but favors the Pokemons intead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbfHs4tph9k :lol:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby wdsteele » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am

I use a Fuzzrocious Feed Me into a Diamond Bass Compressor - gets me just about any bass sound I need - the FM lets me flip through 12 different resistors and capacitors and that's how I find the sweet spot where the bass sound can support the mix - the bass needs to find it's space and that can be very different each time depending on the arrangement.

If you are song writing it's not a bad idea to have separate bass and guitar rig , just one or two pedals for each.

For guitar the DryBell Unit 67 is a great option.
wdsteele
Regular

Previous