You are here

Reflection filters, are they worth it?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Reflection filters, are they worth it?

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 am

I need to record some vocals soon, in my untreated basement, it’s not an overly large reverberant room, but it can sound a bit boxy, boomy.

I don’t want that, I need an intimate sound, with little colouration, if I use the right mic, and get close enough, this should be fine right? just like in an untreated larger space, right?
Would a reflection filter help in this situation, I’ve never tried one, that’s why I’m asking.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Reflection filters, are they worth it?

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:07 am

I've used one for many years. It's helpful, but you still need a decent room, and/or plenty of duvets.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:14 am

A reflection filter is designed to cut down reflections from walls opposite the rear of the mic from getting to the mic.

In a cardioid mode, this is the least sensitive part of the mic so its contribution will be minimal compared to duvets/acoustic panels behind the mic position.

With an omni or fig-8 pattern mic, a reflection filter will play a much larger part in cutting down the room sound picked up by the mic.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:16 am

Get yourself an ISOVOX 2... job done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7hsjvZq5og
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:17 am

Did anyone ever get any mileage out of the kaotica eyeball? https://kaoticaeyeball.co.uk

I seem to remember the SOS review was pretty reasonable, apart from the price being ridiculous for what it actually is.

The advantages being a greater angle of isolation in almost all directions and low mass and centralised center of gravity made it way more stable on the mic stand than a conventional reflection filter.

I also believe it could be pretty easily and cheaply replicated DIY style with a hollowed out foam football for under a tenner!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:49 am

Moroccomoose wrote:Did anyone ever get any mileage out of the kaotica eyeball? https://kaoticaeyeball.co.uk

... or there's the Studiospares version... https://www.studiospares.com/studiospares-isocube-vocal-microphone-isolator_465780.htm
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:01 am

Arpangel wrote:Would a reflection filter help in this situation, I’ve never tried one, that’s why I’m asking.

I have one and I've not found it that useful, to be honest -- at least, not on its own. It reduces some of the voice getting out into the room, so can slightly reduce the reverb/liveness coming back, but not by much. And if the mic is set back into the filter too much you get nasty comb-filtering effects.

The fundamental problem is that a cardioid mic is most sensitive at the sides, above/below, and the front... and these reflection filter style acoustic screens don't do anything at all about any of that.

Hanging thick duvets (or similar) behind and to the sides of the person talking /singing makes a massively more significant improvement because they stop room sound reflecting back into the sensitive sides of the mic. A rug on the floor below, and a large piece of foam above helps even more... And then you can add a reflection filter for the cherry on top if you really want to.

I also have a Kaotica Eyeball, and I do find that generally more useful, and definitely a lot easier to work with.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:27 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Would a reflection filter help in this situation, I’ve never tried one, that’s why I’m asking.

I have one and I've not found it that useful, to be honest -- at least, not on its own. It reduces some of the voice getting out into the room, so can slightly reduce the reverb/liveness coming back, but not by much. And if the mic is set back into the filter too much you get nasty comb-filtering effects.

The fundamental problem is that a cardioid mic is most sensitive at the sides, above/below, and the front... and these reflection filter style acoustic screens don't do anything at all about any of that.

Hanging thick duvets (or similar) behind and to the sides of the person talking /singing makes a massively more significant improvement because they stop room sound reflecting back into the sensitive sides of the mic. A rug on the floor below, and a large piece of foam above helps even more... And then you can add a reflection filter for the cherry on top if you really want to.

I also have a Kaotica Eyeball, and I do find that generally more useful, and definitely a lot easier to work with.

Thanks, seeing as I’ve got exposed beams down there, I may try and put hooks up, and attach a couple of duvets, like a screen, try and make a little closed in area.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:39 am

This is worth a read, if you haven't seen it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ho ... cal-booths
Sam Inglis

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:52 am

Sam Inglis wrote:This is worth a read, if you haven't seen it:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ho ... cal-booths

In case anyone was wondering, Nikhilesh got his Ph.D.

https://hoarelea.com/2020/02/06/our-peo ... esh-patil/
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby CS70 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 pm

Only as part of a set of measures to control your space. Not much alone.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:12 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Get yourself an ISOVOX 2... job done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7hsjvZq5og

Hey, my cat sleeps in one of those.

Is that anything more than what I could emulate with a few acoustic tiles and my SE filter?

Gaffer tape city.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby jaminem » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:34 pm

Never met a singer that I think would give a great performance with their head in a box...
I just don't get this product (or the enormous hype around it)...podcasting maybe, but even then....?

Re the OP and other posters, I sold my reflexion filter since my room has a treated wall specifically to be behind the singer, I very rarely use an omni mic on a singer, and people wanted to hang their lyric sheets where the filter usually lives...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:38 pm

You trail the bait in the hope that you may get a nibble or two...

... I think it's ridiculous :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:02 pm

jaminem wrote:Never met a singer that I think would give a great performance with their head in a box...

Never did Peter Gabriel any harm in early Genesis's Apocalypse In 9/8 "guards of Magog" boxhead. ;-)

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 12,509 SOS Reviews/Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search

Next