You are here

Reflection filters, are they worth it?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Reflection filters, are they worth it?

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 pm

shufflebeat wrote:I've been toying with the idea of an irf2 for miking accordions live. I'm hoping it'll focus the sound, cut some bleed to some extent and maybe help with level before feedback.

I looked around to see if anyone else has tried this but doesn't seem to be a thing.
Yeah, I just tell them it sounds great out front then kill the mic... ;)

More seriously, I guess there's a bit of a challenge around how you use something like that without it a) cluttering up the stage, and b) really messing up the sight lines.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 pm

blinddrew wrote:
shufflebeat wrote:I've been toying with the idea of an irf2 for miking accordions live. I'm hoping it'll focus the sound, cut some bleed to some extent and maybe help with level before feedback.

I looked around to see if anyone else has tried this but doesn't seem to be a thing.
Yeah, I just tell them it sounds great out front then kill the mic... ;)

More seriously, I guess there's a bit of a challenge around how you use something like that without it a) cluttering up the stage, and b) really messing up the sight lines.

They're not that big, really:

Part of the job would be blocking the mic from a floor monitor so placement wouldn't be too much in the sightline. I've got this all thought through but might be total nonsense.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Ah, right, hadn't realised they were actually that dinky.
Sounds good in principle.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:39 am

Being so small, they are only going to have an effect on high-frequencies (above 2kHz or so) because anything lower will just diffract right around it. And if you're using cardioid mics, it's only shielding the least sensitive part of the mic anyway.

It is potentially of some value when using hyper- or super-cardioids as it will counteract the rear tail pickup to some degree, but again, only for the highest frequencies, and only for direct sound along that plane. Anything bouncing up from the floor (or down from the ceiling) won't be reduced.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Previous