You are here

Rewiring, cable, plugs.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Rewiring, cable, plugs.

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:10 am

A lighter works just as well. I use a gas cooker lighter as it has a long, fairly thin tube, so is easier to fit in small spaces. More precise than a heat gun.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:17 am

Arpangel wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Also! Get in a goodly supply of heat shrink and some silicone sleeving.

Dave.

Good point, now I’ll need a heat gun!

:crazy:

Yes!! I love Ed on Wheeler Dealers but 'king HATE it when he uses a solder iron to shrink shrink!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby rha » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:06 am

Canford have patch cable for 10p per meter, if you like it red...

CORDIAL CPK 220 PATCH CABLE, Stock code 98-9612

They've also got HST cable at 40p per m, in red, green, and blue. All somewhere in the clearance list.

Ah, just seen that you're sorted for cable. I'll leave that just in case someone else is looking...

Think there's a minimum spend, but you could get some cheap plugs as well? I got some Rean ones, with the hard plastic shell. Metal shelled are a bit more. Easy enough to solder, but I'm not sure how re-usable they are, unlike the more expensive Neutriks.

The 25w Antex iron is good for soldering plugs, about £30 on Amazon.
rha
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:05 am

rha wrote:Canford have patch cable for 10p per meter, if you like it red...

They've also got HST cable at 40p per m, in red, green, and blue. All somewhere in the clearance list.

Ah, just seen that you're sorted for cable. I'll leave that just in case someone else is looking...

Think there's a minimum spend, but you could get some cheap plugs as well? I got some Rean ones, with the hard plastic shell. Metal shelled are a bit more. Easy enough to solder, but I'm not sure how re-usable they are, unlike the more expensive Neutriks.

Thanks, that list may come in handy later, I think it’s £39 minimum spend, not sure.
The 25w Antex may fit the bill, I'll hardly every use it, just for occasional wiring.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:36 am

Sam Spoons wrote:+1 for a temp controlled soldering station. Mine came from Maplin though so no longer available...

The last item bought in Maplin, Stockport on the last day of trading just before they dropped the shutters was a heat controlled soldering station for half price.

I was that shopper.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:52 am

Arpangel wrote:
rha wrote:Canford have patch cable for 10p per meter, if you like it red...

Thanks, that list may come in handy later, I think it’s £39 minimum spend, not sure.
The 25w Antex may fit the bill, I'll hardly every use it, just for occasional wiring.

I think you will find a 25W iron marginal for XLR buckets and one day 60/4 Lead will be no more. I had one of these https://uk.farnell.com/duratool/d00675/ ... dp/1498364
and it was almost as good as the Weller. Stations like that beat hanging around for 20 mins for the poxy iron to heat up!

The even cheaper Yihua I use now seems to be out of stock.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby rha » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm

Hi Dave - The 25w Antex is fine for XLR, by my standards - I've tinned them by packing the buckets with solder twists and touching the iron the the back of the bucket, no problem doing the three, one after the other, and quickly. Better than the 18w version I also have; wouldn't like to try with 15w!

I think the fact that it has a chunky bit that can hold a bit of heat does help, and that the bit is held tightly to the heating core.

I had thought about getting a Yihua station, and if I did any appreciable amount of electronics fettling I would have, but this video decided me on the Antex (at ~27m15s):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIab66EgfHM

The lead solder factor is another story that may well affect the efficiency of the iron, but I can't say anything to that.

And, btw, the silicone flex for the plug is preferable, def worth the extra couple of quid!

Cheers,
Roscoe
rha
Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 pm

rha wrote:The 25w Antex iron is good for soldering plugs, about £30 on Amazon.

It will probably get the job done but it is nothing like as good to use as a higher powered temperature controlled iron. Even the 40W temperature controlled Antex is too underpowered in my opinion. Antex irons are fine for small fiddly jobs but I've never had much success with them for larger jobs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:01 pm

I’m using a 15w Antex and it really struggles, I must admit, it would be good to get something that doesn’t take so long to warm up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m using a 15w Antex and it really struggles, I must admit, it would be good to get something that doesn’t take so long to warm up.

Yeah, when I started in the trade the 25W Henley Solo ruled, it was like chugging about in a Moggy Minor. When I got a 48W Weller, like i'd bought a JAG!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby rha » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 pm

James Perrett wrote:
rha wrote:The 25w Antex iron is good for soldering plugs, about £30 on Amazon.

It will probably get the job done but it is nothing like as good to use as a higher powered temperature controlled iron. Even the 40W temperature controlled Antex is too underpowered in my opinion. Antex irons are fine for small fiddly jobs but I've never had much success with them for larger jobs.

Hi James - I think you're probably correct that a temp controlled station would be nicer to use. The problem was, when I looked into it, that at that price range there are some compromises made with the construction that put me off. Too many suggestions to check the wiring before using! The nicer units, i.e. real Hakko, were just too expensive for the peace of mind!

The way the bits are constructed and heated seems to make a difference beyond power ratings.

The video linked to glances on the benefits of the non-temp controlled iron versus the temp-controlled station, at the point indicated and a bit later on. Though, I think the station used had a 45w iron, so again you seem on the mark there as regards power.

I'm just putting this down incase someone else is looking for an iron for this use case - mostly cables, and weighted with my biases of cost, reasonable quality and electrical safety (which I don't know enough about to reasonably assess!). Hopefully, it may help reduce the time spent trawling the internet piecing together snippets of information! Or just muddy the waters further. IDK what i'm talking about...

Cheers,
Roscoe
rha
Poster

Previous