You are here

Boom mic stand for Aston Halo?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Boom mic stand for Aston Halo?

Postby bedazzled_k » Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:50 am

Hi

I'm very short on floor space and ideally would like to use my Aston Halo reflection filter (and microphone) on a clamped microphone arm stand.

Can anyone recommend one which will take the weight of the Halo and mic, such as the SE Electronics Z330A?

Thanks
bedazzled_k

Re: Boom mic stand for Aston Halo?

Postby allebaug » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:56 pm

Consider not having a floor-standing support: hang an arm from a movable support clamp on a horizontal bar nearer the ceiling. The Halo and mic are just as effective upside-down.

Take this idea from the photography and video and lighting environment.

Floor space might only be taken by vertical columns in corners. Run a horizontal bar clamped between the columns. The bar might also serve as a hanger for sound-control blankets or panels.

Many flexible commercial brands and parts are widely available.

I've used common steel pipe and fittings for some support projects; the clamps and such are more specialized.
allebaug
Poster

Postby bedazzled_k » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:04 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I realise I'd worded my question poorly! I meant an arm not a stand.

I like the idea of a horizontal bar no the way, although I'm quite low on wall space too (guitars, acoustic foam, etc). Do you know of any spring-loaded arms that will support the weight I need?

Thanks again
bedazzled_k

Postby allebaug » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:46 am

Weight of equipment, and the arm, is the issue.

A support arm such as this clamp design might provide adequate adjustment and stability - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... d_Bag.html.

The clamp would attach to a vertical or overhead support column, with adjustment for height, angle and distance, then locked down for use. No need for counterweights at the opposite end of the arm, and you would need counterweights if this was attached to a movable floor stand.

There are many brands/sizes/designs of choices at this site.

The central hub of these devices is rotatable and the length of arm extension can be locked in place for use or storage.

As for arms with heavy spring weight support, this example might qualify - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... lizer.html.

A clamp design will always support more at a cheaper price, but take more time adjust and pack away.

I'm sure you will find other appropriate choices to fit your needs on this NYC site.
allebaug
Poster