You are here

Phantom power problem.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Phantom power problem.

Postby pa28 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Just seen an interesting SOS article on the Faeicesbook about this problem,

I have this problem with my old focusrite Trakmaster Pro, the curious problem is that with 48v applied there is nothing no response on the input meter, when I switch the 48v off the mic works for a few seconds as if a capactior is supplying and running down any ideas? Not averse to having a go at fixing it if a simple enough job.
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Re: Phantom power problem.

Postby BJG145 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:50 pm

Just looking at some ideas here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... wer-faulty

I don't suppose you have a different unit that could provide phantom power, or a different cable, just to eliminate those...? Hugh also explains how to use a multimeter to test.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Have you got a multimeter so that you can measure voltages at the end of the mic XLR cable?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby pa28 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:11 pm

I do have a few multi-meters and will hunt around for a spare XLR to plug in and check out those pins...
pa28
Regular
Capitalisation is the difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse  & helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

Postby pa28 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:14 pm

BJG145 wrote:Just looking at some ideas here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... wer-faulty

I don't suppose you have a different unit that could provide phantom power, or a different cable, just to eliminate those...? Hugh also explains how to use a multimeter to test.

Yep I do, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, so assured the mic's and cables are ok.

Just a real puzzle why there is a few seconds of power after switch off of 48v :roll: .
pa28
Regular