You are here

Digital Recorder to Computer Recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Digital Recorder to Computer Recording

Postby forumuser828680 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:43 pm

I think I know what you all are saying but until I get my hands on it.

"Store only your fav data on the other SSD and use a hard drive for everything else"

So you are saying put DAW , samples, and OS on the SSD and the rest of it on HDD??

Thanks for all the information.
forumuser828680
Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:08 pm

The Elf wrote:
wdsteele wrote:Templates seem to work for many , for me I prefer to start with a blank project every time , record whatever I've written the piece on and then build from there - although I have wasted many hours creating templates I never use .
+1

Me too. With templates I end up deleting lots of things I don’t need...with an empty project I know exactly what I’ve got.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:12 pm

I made the transition from a cassette-based 4 track to Logic back in the very late 90s. It was relatively easy. These days it’s probably easier to get going! Reaper is a good choice.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:14 pm

blinddrew wrote:I tend to have instrument templates rather than project templates. For example, I use Abbey Road Drums and dear lord I do not want to be setting up Kontakt routing every time I want to put a rhythm down. So that's all set up with the instrument and individual track outputs ready to be loaded with two clicks. Likewise for vocals I have a standard set of tracks, and for reverbs and bass, and for my main bus tracks.
But they don't all get used all the time.

Kontakt routing, got to be one of the most perplexing, convoluted, unintuitive set-up in the known world. I have followed tutorials, the book, YouTube. And have had a measure of success, but sometimes need a change, and you need to restart Kontakt, and on restarting, if the altered routing doesn't do the trick, you've lost the working one that preceded it. Or setup a new output. assign it and then it simply doesn't appear in the DAW

Additionally I set routing up, rename busses etc, press OK and nothing changes!!!!!

I have all but given up with it - Note to Native Instruments, take a butchers at Halion - it just works, why over engineer something and come up with the VSTi equivalent of contortionism - it's daft
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:18 pm

RichardT wrote:
The Elf wrote:
wdsteele wrote:Templates seem to work for many , for me I prefer to start with a blank project every time , record whatever I've written the piece on and then build from there - although I have wasted many hours creating templates I never use .
+1

Me too. With templates I end up deleting lots of things I don’t need...with an empty project I know exactly what I’ve got.

Hours to create a template? Piano, Bass, Drums, Synth, Percussion, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Drums, Strings, one or two other bits and bobs, lead and harmony vocals, FX tracks - 10 mins of a job

Think of a real world analogy - your band assembles for a practice session, do you audition 50 basses before you get cracking?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:21 pm

forumuser828680 wrote:I think I know what you all are saying but until I get my hands on it.

"Store only your fav data on the other SSD and use a hard drive for everything else"

So you are saying put DAW , samples, and OS on the SSD and the rest of it on HDD??

Thanks for all the information.

C:Drive SSD Apps/Programmes, User Settings etc

D:Drive SSD or HDD - all data, if the app will let you

E:Archive drive HDD - finished projects, backup, drive images etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:36 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
OneWorld wrote:Take sometime to make 'templates' so you can drop into song writing mode as soon as Reaper, or whatever other DAW fires up, instead of starting a song, getting a guide track down then scrolling up and down lists of a 1000 basses/drum kits/etc you lose momentum and inspiration - it is the lyric/melody/rhythm/passion/storytelling that make a good tune, not a 'killer bass/lead/percussion' line

This is good.

I have templates for songs, instrumentals, within projects I have templates for all my various stringy things, midi, mic recording, etc.

Yes, if you are aspiring to replicate the hard disk recorder, a template emulates that scenario. I would imagine with your hard disk recorder you left whatever instruments plugged in whatever input on the HDD. You wouldn't turn the HDD on and start swapping the inputs about "Oh I think I'll put the bass on input 6 instead of 7"

The tracks lengths are arbitrary, they are determined by the length of the tune. And most importantly, there is of course an element of predictability. So if anything is not working as expected, there are less unknowns to factor into the problem solving.

It might seem counter-intuitive, but music has a predictability about it. Once you have some templates in place and got confident with how the whole thing hangs together. Then you can venture into other methods, changing the instrumentation of the instruments/arrangements of any given template or starting with a blank page.

Music isn't about binaries, either this or that, but a blend of a bit of this and a bit of that. But to make the transition from HDR to DAW, might as well start in familiar territory and replicate your hard disk recorder setup, get some tunes down get familiar with the terminology, using the mixer, the VSTs, saving, backing up, archiving, mastering etc etc etc
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:51 pm

OneWorld wrote:Kontakt routing, got to be one of the most perplexing, convoluted, unintuitive set-up in the known world...
The trick is to set up a default set of outputs and reset to it each time. It's a couple of mouse-clicks, but once you have it sorted out all the problems go away. It took me a long time to find this solution and I share your frustration!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm

OneWorld wrote:Hours to create a template?
Well it wouldn't take me long, but I have absolutely no need for them. I add what I need as I need it - it takes seconds.

Both approaches will work - no right or wrong.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous