You are here

Sending recorded tracks from Reaper back into X32 Compact?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Sending recorded tracks from Reaper back into X32 Compact?

Postby seriousnewbie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Hello everyone, I hope you all are doing well.

I have my X32 compact set up so each input can go into Reaper on it's own track, although I can't figure out how to send them back to the mixer for further mixing. Just using a hardware output in Reaper back to the corresponding channel is not working, and I am using the X-USB drivers.

Just for reference this video shows exactly what I would like to do, except I am trying this with the X32 Compact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycnvRRBFQbk

Thanks in advance for any help :D
seriousnewbie
Regular

Re: Sending recorded tracks from Reaper back into X32 Compact?

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:52 pm

How many tracks/channels are you using? I use 16/16 I/O which makes life easy as I can use Channels 1-16 for inputs and 17-32 for 'tape' returns much as I would have done back in the day. It's all down to the routing so if you could save and post a scene file from the setup that is giving you trouble I'll load it into my X32 C and see off I can sort it out for you. I don't use 32/32 I/O so if that's what you need it might take a bit longer bit happy to give it a go.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby seriousnewbie » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:How many tracks/channels are you using? I use 16/16 I/O which makes life easy as I can use Channels 1-16 for inputs and 17-32 for 'tape' returns much as I would have done back in the day. It's all down to the routing so if you could save and post a scene file from the setup that is giving you trouble I'll load it into my X32 C and see off I can sort it out for you. I don't use 32/32 I/O so if that's what you need it might take a bit longer bit happy to give it a go.

For the things that I will be mixing I will most likely need 32x32 IO often. Although, I am not sure what you mean by saving the scene file. I am only a day into this mixer and I have never worked with a fully digital mixer yet, especially not a tank like this one.
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby seriousnewbie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:32 am

Sam Spoons wrote:How many tracks/channels are you using? I use 16/16 I/O which makes life easy as I can use Channels 1-16 for inputs and 17-32 for 'tape' returns much as I would have done back in the day. It's all down to the routing so if you could save and post a scene file from the setup that is giving you trouble I'll load it into my X32 C and see off I can sort it out for you. I don't use 32/32 I/O so if that's what you need it might take a bit longer bit happy to give it a go.

UPDATE: I got it working, it was just some routing in reaper and we are all good! :headbang:. Sorry for wasting your time, I greatly appreciate it!
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:11 am

No problem, glad you got it sorted.

WRT scene files, you can save scenes on the X32 for later recall so I have several depending on what I am doing, most used at present (obviously) are ones set up for solo recording one instrument at a time. With a corresponding template in Reaper I can be ready to record within 90 secs of switching the studio lights on. You can save those scenes to a usb stick (or into X32-Edit on the computer) and send them to another X32 user who can load them up and duplicate your setup, useful for troubleshooting or WHY.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby seriousnewbie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 am

Sam Spoons wrote:No problem, glad you got it sorted.

WRT scene files, you can save scenes on the X32 for later recall so I have several depending on what I am doing, most used at present (obviously) are ones set up for solo recording one instrument at a time. With a corresponding template in Reaper I can be ready to record within 90 secs of switching the studio lights on. You can save those scenes to a usb stick (or into X32-Edit on the computer) and send them to another X32 user who can load them up and duplicate your setup, useful for troubleshooting or WHY.

Alright, so as I have posted above, my original problem is fixed and now I have another problem that you might know how to fix and I don't want to start another topic. Phantom power doesn't work. I have tried my mic on different inputs, and it doesn't work when I try it on my DI box either so it can't be my mic or the specific input channel. Everywhere I have looked people were just able to press the phantom power button, the light would come on, and it would work. Is there a setting that I am missing?

Sorry to bother you with my problems...
seriousnewbie
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am

No problem. Phantom will only activate if you have the channel assigned to a mic input but if the panel button and the LED adjacent to the input both illuminate then you should have spook active in that input. Where it gets more complex is with stage boxes and/or multiple X32 desks in the system.

I'm off out for the day now but glad investigate further later on.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster