You are here

'Set and forget' reverb padal

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: 'Set and forget' reverb padal

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:12 pm

forumuser931182 wrote:Strymon Blue Sky is simple yet gives you a number of reverb options.
Free the Tone also has a nice stereo reverb pedal.

Spring reverbs aside, I’ve had both, Blue Sky, and Big Sky, sold the Blue Sky, still have the Big one.
The Big Sky is set and forget, you may think it's OTT but honestly, it’s so good, even the basic patches, you won’t want to edit it much, most of the time I just select one of the presets and it sounds fantastic, it’s simply one of the best reverbs out there, rack or pedal.
The only thingy that comes close, but sounds a bit different, is the Specular Tempus, the Eventide Black Hole is a bit of a vulgar show-off in comparison to these two, good, but way over-used, and a bit of a cliche, I had one, for about two weeks, the Big Sky does all that, and much much more, it could be my only reverb.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:26 pm

Arpangel wrote: the Eventide Black Hole is a bit of a vulgar show-off in comparison to these two, good, but way over-used, and a bit of a cliche, I had one, for about two weeks, the Big Sky does all that, and much much more, it could be my only reverb.
You forgot the 'in my opinion' part. :D

I have the Blackhole, it's a great pedal, very versatile and sounds amazing. I think it's biggest failing is that it clips rather easily when you're feeding a hot signal into it.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:23 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote: the Eventide Black Hole is a bit of a vulgar show-off in comparison to these two, good, but way over-used, and a bit of a cliche, I had one, for about two weeks, the Big Sky does all that, and much much more, it could be my only reverb.
You forgot the 'in my opinion' part. :D

I have the Blackhole, it's a great pedal, very versatile and sounds amazing. I think it's biggest failing is that it clips rather easily when you're feeding a hot signal into it.

"In My Oppinion" :D :D :D .......Ben, I was blown away by the Black Hole when I got it, it really does give you all you need if you’re after that Eventide sound, you probably know, it’s supposed to be the same algorithms as used in the H8000.
I had an H3000 and I was expecting something similar, and the BH isn’t, I sold my H3000, and bought another one! when they were actually affordable, I sold that one too, they have this really bad transformer hum, all of them, I just couldn’t put up with it, but they sound the best, out of all the Eventides.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:05 pm

MOF wrote:If ‘or so’ means an extra £55 then the new UAD fx pedals could fit the bill.
https://www.uaudio.com/uafx/effects-pedals.html

That Golden Reverberator sounds lush! Vangelis would have loved it, although of course he had an actual Lexicon 224...
baward
Regular

Postby baward » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:08 pm

Arpangel wrote:Put simply, if you’re after a spring sound, you won’t get it with a recreation, it’s the most difficult thing to do, and they haven’t done it yet, there are so many mechanical factors involved.
Get something secondhand, vintage, it’ll cost you a bit more, but it’ll be worth it, there really aren’t any compromises, and recreations always sound pathetic, sorry, but that’s the reality of it.
If it worked so well, why did you sell it?

Enormous and unwieldy (it was a Great British Spring, and did indeed sound fab :-) and I fancy a change.
baward
Regular

Postby Macca_25387 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 pm

Trex room mate may be worth a shout. It’s lived on my board with the knobs in the same position for about two years now. That’s about as good as set and forget gets. Setting number 4 with a touch of chorus is my favourite. Can be had for under £150 second hand.
Macca_25387
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:16 am

baward wrote:
MOF wrote:If ‘or so’ means an extra £55 then the new UAD fx pedals could fit the bill.
https://www.uaudio.com/uafx/effects-pedals.html

That Golden Reverberator sounds lush! Vangelis would have loved it, although of course he had an actual Lexicon 224...

I had a 224 up to three years ago, hardware? software? When you’ve had something like this you can’t help but giggle inside when people talk about how good plugins are :D
It was so unreliable, but it was nearly 40 years old! The sound was fantastic, but because of reliability I sold it, and the guy repaired it.
I didn’t ever think about replacing it, you just can’t, it was a lovely time having it as "my guest" for awhile, it had a spirit, it was so powerful, you could feel it, a vibe, attached to its physical being, I can't say that about many things, and I’m sure that’s why Vangelis was attracted to it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:10 am

can’t help but giggle inside when people talk about how good plugins are

My impression (not from a Lexi 224) is that a lot of the difference we perceive is because of the ease, immediacy of use and the way we can explore the options and zoom in the one we want.

For example, I much rather use real guitar amps than emulations, and physical-box emulations much rather than software emulations.

But I'm well aware that good guitar emulations are indistinguishable from a sonic point of view. There is no electric guitarist in the world that can consistently tell a Kemper or an Axe or an Helix from the real things in a true blind test, with no prior information.

Sure if one knows a specific AC30 intimately, he/she may be able to recognize it, but take two random AC30s that you don't know, one real then other emulated, have someone else set them up similarly and play without knowing what's attached to guitar.. no way you can tell what's what. You could with a POD, but not anymore.

And yet I still like "real" amps better (to the point that I have a small warehouse full of them :D).

Why? I get better sounds. A paradox! Because from the above, the exact same sounds could be found within the emulation.

I don't usually think that much about it (I'd rather play) but if I do, the difference must lie elsewhere than the sound.. and indeed it does. A real amp is often a thing of beauty - I love the lights and the colors and the shiny metal and the feel of the knobs. It puts me in a good mood. Turning physical knobs allow me to explore a huge range of sounds very quickly, without looking. Controls in amp are often interrelated - changing one changes what the others do as well - and I can make complex, multi-parameter changes in less time that it takes to say "Fractal Audio Systems". No wonder I find better sounds on real amps!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:53 am

CS70 wrote:
can’t help but giggle inside when people talk about how good plugins are

My impression (not from a Lexi 224) is that a lot of the difference we perceive is because of the ease, immediacy of use and the way we can explore the options and zoom in the one we want.

For example, I much rather use real guitar amps than emulations, and physical-box emulations much rather than software emulations.

But I'm well aware that good guitar emulations are indistinguishable from a sonic point of view. There is no electric guitarist in the world that can consistently tell a Kemper or an Axe or an Helix from the real things in a true blind test, with no prior information.

Sure if one knows a specific AC30 intimately, he/she may be able to recognize it, but take two random AC30s that you don't know, one real then other emulated, have someone else set them up similarly and play without knowing what's attached to guitar.. no way you can tell what's what. You could with a POD, but not anymore.

And yet I still like "real" amps better (to the point that I have a small warehouse full of them :D).

Why? I get better sounds. A paradox! Because from the above, the exact same sounds could be found within the emulation.

I don't usually think that much about it (I'd rather play) but if I do, the difference must lie elsewhere than the sound.. and indeed it does. A real amp is often a thing of beauty - I love the lights and the colors and the shiny metal and the feel of the knobs. It puts me in a good mood. Turning physical knobs allow me to explore a huge range of sounds very quickly, without looking. Controls in amp are often interrelated - changing one changes what the others do as well - and I can make complex, multi-parameter changes in less time that it takes to say "Fractal Audio Systems". No wonder I find better sounds on real amps!

Seventeen years ago I was the one arguing about how great computers and plugins are, I was a complete convert, and it was great, didn’t think about anything else for years, I bought into it from day one, an early adopter, it worked for me, for two reasons, I had very little money, and two, I had no choice, it was all I could afford, and I got a lot for my money, compared with hardware.
But then I did have a choice, and I found out, and got back, the feelings I forgot about, like using and interacting with hardware, and in that time, it’s gradually taken over from the computer, simply because I do have a choice now, and I prefer it, that’s just me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:57 am

I have an enormous and unwieldy 88-key keyboard flight case in the shed not doing anything and as soon as I bump into a suitable bit of metal I'm going to make a plate reverb out of it.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:03 am

Arpangel wrote:Seventeen years ago I was the one arguing about how great computers and plugins are, I was a complete convert, and it was great, didn’t think about anything else for years, I bought into it from day one, an early adopter, it worked for me, for two reasons, I had very little money, and two, I had no choice, it was all I could afford, and I got a lot for my money, compared with hardware.
But then I did have a choice, and I found out, and got back, the feelings I forgot about, like using and interacting with hardware, and in that time, it’s gradually taken over from the computer, simply because I do have a choice now, and I prefer it, that’s just me.

Eh, for me it was the opposite. I always rather not do stuff if I cannot do it properly, and that started at an early age... Luckily for much stuff I didn't have a clue what properly meant, but still, since we didnt have much money when I was a kid, it meant I didnt do much! :D

I like having the choice, and my Atomic has been a blessing in gigs in the last years, because I can get it to do it exactly what my other amps do - only I don't have to bring three. But for discovering sounds, amps are still unbeatable to me.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:28 am

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Seventeen years ago I was the one arguing about how great computers and plugins are, I was a complete convert, and it was great, didn’t think about anything else for years, I bought into it from day one, an early adopter, it worked for me, for two reasons, I had very little money, and two, I had no choice, it was all I could afford, and I got a lot for my money, compared with hardware.

Eh, for me it was the opposite. I always rather not do stuff if I cannot do it properly, and that started at an early age... Luckily for much stuff I didn't have a clue what properly meant, but still, since we didnt have much money when I was a kid, it meant I didnt do much! :D

I like having the choice, and my Atomic has been a blessing in gigs in the last years, because I can get it to do it exactly what my other amps do - only I don't have to bring three. But for discovering sounds, amps are still unbeatable to me.

It’s crazy, I started out with some nice hardware, back in the 70’s, VCS3, Sony reel to reel, some amps and stereo for monitoring, all set up in the shed, happy days.
Then I left music for years, went broke, finally got a cheap computer, and now, back into hardware again, it’s all a random merry go round.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby baward » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:28 pm

At school (quite a while ago!) the music tech teacher let me loose on a Teac 3340 (or was it a B77?) as he could tell I was very into sound and synths and so on. So there I was with a cheap mic and a reel to reel, and all I really got out of it was eventually working out how to do tape echo, as I was totally unsupervised for the period. If only I had had someone who knew what he/she was doing, and could have pointed me as a 15 year old in the right direction. But I did end up doodling synths I could never afford in the back of my exercise book during boring history lessons.
baward
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:11 pm

I've never really 'got' the either/or scenario. I use whatever does the job for me - and I truly don't mind whether it's hardware, software, plug-in, guitar pedal, Ai, or two sticks and a tin can. Being able to see the good in everything, I believe, has been useful to me over the years. I kept the old, unfashionable analogue stuff when everyone was racing toward digital, and I kept the hardware when everyone was throwing it behind them and running towards software.

I now have a system that comprises gear I bought when I was 15 years old and stuff I bought yesterday.

All I ask of any technology is that it earns its keep - if not... out the door.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous