You are here

SSL 2+ Interface Keeps Disconnecting

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

SSL 2+ Interface Keeps Disconnecting

Postby oatmealrecipes » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:58 pm

I recently purchased an SSL 2+ interface and am experiencing a lot of connection issues. I love the hardware and when it works it sounds amazing, but it disconnects very frequently and I will have to unplug and plug it back in. I have never had this problem with other interfaces and it is very frustrating at times. The interface itself works great and I can hear my talkback just fine, but will randomly disconnect from my PC and I will have to unplug it 2 or 3 times to get it to work again. When it disconnects I usually get a constant loading icon when trying to play a video or Spotify will say "Can't play the current song." I have to do this at start up every time, any time there is silence for only a couple minutes, or just randomly when I am listening to music. I have the latest driver installed and am using Windows 10 as well. Any help is appreciated!
oatmealrecipes

Re: SSL 2+ Interface Keeps Disconnecting

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:34 pm

Couple of obvious ones:

Have you tried another cable?
Have you tried another usb (2) port?
Do you have anything else bus powered that might suck all the current?
Does having 48v on/off make a difference?
Are you on a laptop? Does mains/battery make a difference?

PC model?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby CS70 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 am

oatmealrecipes wrote:I recently purchased an SSL 2+ interface and am experiencing a lot of connection issues. I love the hardware and when it works it sounds amazing, but it disconnects very frequently and I will have to unplug and plug it back in. I have never had this problem with other interfaces and it is very frustrating at times. The interface itself works great and I can hear my talkback just fine, but will randomly disconnect from my PC and I will have to unplug it 2 or 3 times to get it to work again. When it disconnects I usually get a constant loading icon when trying to play a video or Spotify will say "Can't play the current song." I have to do this at start up every time, any time there is silence for only a couple minutes, or just randomly when I am listening to music. I have the latest driver installed and am using Windows 10 as well. Any help is appreciated!

That sounds like you haven't disabled the USB power management.

Basically the computer is sending the interface to sleep when the USB port is not in user for a little while, to save power. You need to reconfigure that.

Make sure you power plan is "High performance" (and even better, enter the plan and tweak everything so that nothing is ever turned off).

Then go to device manager, right click on any item under "USB Serial Bus Controller" and if they have a "Power Management" tab, untick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Same, really, for any device in sight (check also the interface device itself) - it's well worth to spend the time to go thru the lot.

You can also go in the BIOS and disable other power-management related stuff that may get in the way (power management needs to periodically check things, and that can throw off the real-time capabilities of your computer) but it's a little more complicated and it depends on the specific motherboard you have, so try the generic OS-level changes first.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:55 am

CS70 wrote:Make sure you power plan is "High performance" (and even better, enter the plan and tweak everything so that nothing is ever turned off).

Ah, that'll be why I did all those recommended tweaks that I didn't understand but took as good advice from people who did.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby oatmealrecipes » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:13 am

shufflebeat wrote:Couple of obvious ones:

Have you tried another cable?
Have you tried another usb (2) port?
Do you have anything else bus powered that might suck all the current?
Does having 48v on/off make a difference?
Are you on a laptop? Does mains/battery make a difference?

PC model?

-I don't have another USB C cable so I will go buy one and try that
-I've tried all my USB 2 and 3 ports
-The only other bus powered thing is my midi controller and its not currently plugged in
-It does not
-I've got a custom built pc with an ASRock AB350 PRO4 ATX Motherboard. It was relatively cheap, but I haven't had issues with other interfaces or any other usb plugged into it
oatmealrecipes

Postby oatmealrecipes » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 am

CS70 wrote:Make sure you power plan is "High performance" (and even better, enter the plan and tweak everything so that nothing is ever turned off).

Then go to device manager, right click on any item under "USB Serial Bus Controller" and if they have a "Power Management" tab, untick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Same, really, for any device in sight (check also the interface device itself) - it's well worth to spend the time to go thru the lot.

You can also go in the BIOS and disable other power-management related stuff that may get in the way (power management needs to periodically check things, and that can throw off the real-time capabilities of your computer) but it's a little more complicated and it depends on the specific motherboard you have, so try the generic OS-level changes first.

I've done all that already in Windows 10, but couldn't find where to do that in my BIOS. Going back into my device manager I see "device not migrated" under the events tab:

Device USB\VID_31E9&PID_0002\6&152981d1&0&2 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_1235&PID_8205\6&152981d1&0&2
Class Guid: {c8b76578-d062-4834-0001-f8b6f2162a22}
Location Path: PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0701)#PCI(0003)#USBROOT(0)#USB(2)
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFF00000023
Present: false
oatmealrecipes

Postby CS70 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:14 am

The easiest way to fix the "device not migrated" is to reinstall the driver..

- make a system restore point (just in case)
- disconnect the SSL device and delete the related entries from device manager (or, if there is an uninstaller, use tha)
- optionally reboot (shouldn't be needed but you never know)
- reinstall the driver

You could check the Windows logs (Event Viewer) to see if you have any errors.

Bar that, if already the power management stuff is fixed, it could be defective USB hardware on either the motherboard or the interface or just a bad cable.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page