You are here

Scarlett vs Clarett

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlett vs Clarett

Postby lordmike » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:28 am

Good morning! I'm hoping someone could help me out or at least confirm my suspicions. I am presently using a Focusrite 8i6 and generally love it so naturally I wonder if I wouldn't love the Clarett range more. But, I'm not entirely sure if I would be able to hear a difference because of how I run my 8i6. I use a Blue Robbie with a Dragonfly or Baby Bottle into one of the line-ins and I use an OXBOX into the SPDIF input. The only time I use the built in preamps is when I'm tracking guitars but I reamp those back through the OXBOX. So 90% of the time I'm avoiding the guts of the unit and going right to the converter (at least I think that's true) and that is probably the exact way I would use the Clarett. Looking at the specs of the two it looks like the preamps are the primary difference so does anyone think I would benefit from going to a Clarett or would the improvement be negligible? I also want to say that I'm reluctant to upgrade the 8i6 because of how used to it I am as well as the Clarett doesn't have the loopback function. I know there are ways around that but I use it so often that I like that it is built into the Scarlett. Also, I know some of you will likely suggest other brands and while I love and appreciate your knowledge and ideas, I really want to stick with Focusrite stuff because of how they sit in my studio. I like the forward facing controls so I can stuff them in my rack. Thanks everyone!
lordmike
Poster

Re: Scarlett vs Clarett

Postby Luke W » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 am

I would say that unless your current interface simply doesn't do something you want it to do, or there is a clear and obvious audible failing then it's probably not worth the bother. In fact in your case with the lack of the built in loopback feature it sounds like you'll likely end up losing more than you gain!

So my vote is to save yourself the money and the effort, and stick with what you've got until you run out of places to plug things in or hear something unforgivably nasty. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Zukan » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 am

Zukan

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:06 pm

According to the specs you are getting slightly better converters in the Clarett, but unless you're in a professionally treated environment, with top-grade monitoring, I'd be amazed if you could hear the difference.
(running a gen1 8i6 and quite happy with it here) :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Zukan wrote:http://compare.focusrite.com/chart
I must say that 'filter' feature on the comparison chart is utter pants. I can't select to just sho Scarlett and Clarett products, just Scarlett or Clarett, which makes a joke of it being a 'comparison' chart. :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby lordmike » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:38 pm

Luke W wrote:I would say that unless your current interface simply doesn't do something you want it to do, or there is a clear and obvious audible failing then it's probably not worth the bother. In fact in your case with the lack of the built in loopback feature it sounds like you'll likely end up losing more than you gain!

So my vote is to save yourself the money and the effort, and stick with what you've got until you run out of places to plug things in or hear something unforgivably nasty. :thumbup:

Thanks for the confirmation! That is what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if there was some magic in the Clarett I didn't know about.

blinddrew wrote:According to the specs you are getting slightly better converters in the Clarett, but unless you're in a professionally treated environment, with top-grade monitoring, I'd be amazed if you could hear the difference.

My space is well treated but it isn't "professional." It sounds great but is admittedly far from perfect
lordmike
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Wonks wrote:
I must say that 'filter' feature on the comparison chart is utter pants. I can't select to just sho Scarlett and Clarett products, just Scarlett or Clarett, which makes a joke of it being a 'comparison' chart. :headbang:
You can select individual products from the different ranges though.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:31 pm

lordmike wrote:
blinddrew wrote:According to the specs you are getting slightly better converters in the Clarett, but unless you're in a professionally treated environment, with top-grade monitoring, I'd be amazed if you could hear the difference.

My space is well treated but it isn't "professional." It sounds great but is admittedly far from perfect
I'd be looking at spending my effort elsewhere then if I were you - unless there's something specific you're missing with the Scarlett.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:40 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Wonks wrote:

Yes you obviously can. But how can you easily compare two different ranges without all the others getting in the way? I can look at a single range from the main web pages. I think they need a new web page designer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:47 pm

Wonks wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
Wonks wrote:

Yes you obviously can. But how can you easily compare two different ranges without all the others getting in the way? I can look at a single range from the main web pages. I think they need a new web page designer.
Like that: http://compare.focusrite.com/chart?filt ... t+4Pre+USB :?:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 pm

I have a Scarlett solo and a Clarett 4pre.

The pres on the Clarett pres are significantly better than the Scarlett. Hands down. I notice a real difference between vocals tracks before I got the Clarett, and the ones I do now. Same mic and room and singer.

Similarly when I've got my bass or guitar jacking direct into the Clarett, I notice a significant difference.

I haven't noticed much of a difference when putting a line level signal in.

Basically, if you're not using the pres at all, then it's not worth it. But if you do need to track using the pres, it's worth the upgrade.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:49 pm

Dave Rowles wrote: Hands down.
How many? And are you measuring metric or imperial? :beamup:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:21 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
A hand is an imperial measure of 4 inches... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:48 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
A hand is an imperial measure of 4 inches... ;)

or a dozen barleycorns....
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 pm

It really depends on where the hands are going when they're down...

I'll get my coat.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man