You are here

Corroded cable plugs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Corroded cable plugs

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:04 am

Like alloy wheels fuzz up - after three years behind the couch -
I need these XLR patches - so i will wash them with window cleaning fluid ( it cuts through the fuzz)- dry them - and spray them with wd40 and clean. Crap has eaten through the metal in parts - gnarly bits i removed with a beauticians nail file -
With my SOS right to edit - i edited that last bit -
Bloody cables - capitalists bastards - built in obsolescence swines - if only i had listened!
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Re: Corroded cable plugs

Postby N i g e l » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:56 am

Airfix wrote: so i will wash them with window cleaning fluid ( it cuts through the fuzz)

probably not a bad solution { :smirk: }, window clean would be vinegar based, i.e. slightly acidic & have a bit of soap too. Could cut through some oxidation layers and clear dust & spider poo. Cillit bang is another domestic caustic cleaning product.

Not sure about the WD40, its just an oil which might well prevent further oxidation but is a bit messy.

If there are gnarly bits, its probably time to renew your plugs preferably ones with a few microns of gold plating.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:11 am

Bloody non gold plated alloy cable plugs! Your probably right - cheap me - serves me right all that scrubbing - i wiped off the wd40 and intend to use these cables. Bollix "$%*9 from the bottom of my heart- avoid cheap cables
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan LB » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:49 am

Airfix wrote:Bloody non gold plated alloy cable plugs! Your probably right - cheap me - serves me right all that scrubbing - i wiped off the wd40 and intend to use these cables. Bollix "$%*9 from the bottom of my heart- avoid cheap cables

Fair enough to avoid cheap cables but connectors don't have to be gold plated. I regularly use XLR connections in work that are over 40 years old with no issues. It sounds like behind your couch is a particularly harsh environment :D
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:31 am

Standard WD40 is an oily water-dispersant, not a contact cleaner. It has lots of uses but this is not one of them. You need to get that WD40 off before using the XLRs or you’ll be back in the same situation very shortly. WD40 film attracts dirt and dust. If you’ve used WD40 on your XLRs before, then that is probably why they got like that.

You need to remove the WD40 and use a proper contact cleaner like Caig’s DeoxIt or WD40’s dedicated contact cleaner product. Servisol also works but as it contains a lubricant, it is best used for cleaning potentiometers and sliders.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Arpangel » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:36 am

This sounds like damp corrosion, I use Servisol 10, always have done, does the job.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:31 am

Airfix, do you live in the Bornean jungle? I have XLRs and jack plug going on 50 that have not corroded, dullish yes but not corroded. Jack plugs benefit from a spin with a plastic scouring pad MOISTENED with a little WD-40 once a year.

YES! WD friggin FORTY. I have a pair of mics in my garden and there is a total of 8 XLR connections. After six months or so, depending upon the weather, the system gets hummy/crackly. I split the conns, soak with WD and I am good to go again for another six months. I also treat the power co ax and BNC to the camera the same.

I don't like the 'feel' or smell of WD-40 particularly but it works for me!

WD-40 is a paradoxical substance that at once INSULATES insulators and prevents 'tracking' (as for instance on a distributor) but also improves intimate electrical contact. The while repelling water.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby N i g e l » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:21 am

My experience of [UK] corrosion was from hanging my cables off of the end of the curtain pole.
Really handy !
The window was open all summer & by autumn the connectors had roughed up & tarnished.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Fishnish » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:31 am

N i g e l wrote:My experience of [UK] corrosion was from hanging my cables off of the end of the curtain pole.
Really handy !
The window was open all summer & by autumn the connectors had roughed up & tarnished.

There is some part of the UK where one might leave the windows open all summer?? :o :o :o
Fishnish
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:39 am

Fishnish wrote:
N i g e l wrote:My experience of [UK] corrosion was from hanging my cables off of the end of the curtain pole.
Really handy !

There is some part of the UK where one might leave the windows open all summer?? :o :o :o

yeah, it was in a top floor flat, so no security issues. I was younger then & summers were sunnier, hotter, longer & more plentiful.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Thanks Wonks - big rabbit - in response to lovely others -- I do not live in the jungle. I have heard when certain metals touch each other (cheap alloys) while in a bag behind the couch for 3 years - it can cause a reaction - quantum stuff - and corrode my plugs - swine reality
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Well, you can certainly get galvanic corrosion when two metals with significantly different electrode potential values come into contact.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/elec ... d_482.html

But it's normally only significant with a liquid such as water present, to ensure an abundance of hydrogen ions to allow the reaction to occur.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm

swine hydrogen ions - life is hard
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:18 pm

Tested my recovered plugs on my tc helicon 'pedals'. Alls well. Although i will not be plugging them into my newly acquired Sound Devices MixPre 3 ii (sweet thing). Have ordered new fuzz free stuff (i hope) - - Stay safe -
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:12 pm

Airfix wrote:Tested my recovered plugs on my tc helicon 'pedals'. Alls well. Although i will not be plugging them into my newly acquired Sound Devices MixPre 3 ii (sweet thing). Have ordered new fuzz free stuff (i hope) - - Stay safe -

Said this before here. Where you have a piece of tasty gear (and a MixPre is VERY drool inducing!) it is wise to make up 'sacrificial' adapters i.e. an XLR MIC plug to XLR female and then only connect to the flying socket thus taking any 'in and out' wear away from your Precious.

Same goes for microphones and two birds can be deaded as the adapter can be a thin, flexible cable with an LF filter 'knot' in it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Next