You are here

X32 channels not going to master bus, well... kind of.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

X32 channels not going to master bus, well... kind of.

Postby seriousnewbie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:50 am

Hello everybody, I hope ya'll are having a good day so far. I have been trying to figure this out but I just can't seem to fix it. So I have the Behringer X32 mixer set up with Reaper, and the channels go in and out mostly fine. Although channels 1-4 (OH's and Room's) are not audible even though the meters in my DAW and my X32 are going up.

When I solo the channels on the Control Surface, there is not audio even though, once again, the meters are going up. However when I solo the tracks on the inputs side of the mixer, the M/C Solo meter goes up and I can hear it fine, but still nothing in the main L/R.

I have made sure nothing is in solo, and nothing is muted. It is not a driver issue because I have quadruple checked the drivers and all other channel are working fine. The routing in Reaper is fine because all the tracks are still going in out. And yes, the Main L/R bus is pressed down in the "Bus Mixes" part of the mixer.

For anyone not wanting to read the full post, channels 1-4 not going to main L/R but all other channels are, the channel is fully turned up, not muted, and nothing else is in solo.
seriousnewbie
Regular

Re: X32 channels not going to master bus, well... kind of.

Postby tomas_man » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:12 am

I'd say that you have a problem inside reaper's routing, do you mind taking a screenshot of the routing of one of the channels and/or Reaper's routing matrix ?

Also, are your tracks linked in the mixer ? and are they routed to single mono tracks or stereo tracks inside reaper ?
tomas_man
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 am

I was thinking the routing in the X32 would be the first place to look.

EDIT - I say this because plainly the sound is getting into the X32 from Reaper as it's triggering the meters and audible on the input solo.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:47 am

If the meters are working when the channel is set to record in Reaper then, as Tomas says, the problem must be within Reaper. Do you see the waveforms appear on those tracks when you record? Is the record monitoring switched on for those channels?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Freddie Veggie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:20 pm

can't comment on the X32, but I've had similar problems with my XR18 when starting out, problem was in the routing tab of the mixer: Some pre-sets like to use channels 1 & 2 to go to, say the aux input _as well as_ channels 1-2. So then it depends (when going DAW -> mixer) which channels have their input set to USB. Is it Aux (17/18)? You're gonna hear input on aux. Is it Channels 1 & 2? You're gonna hear the input on 1 & 2.
So, the first place I'd look is in the USB return routing tab of your mixer.

Also note that reaper itself, i.e., the main bus, may be outputting "nothing" as well. I've had THAT problem as well. Without parent-sends, and direct outputs from reaper to the console, you have a silent master bus. By default reaper outputs on channels 1&2 of your current audio output. So you may be sending silence after all, even though the track meters are moving.

Lastly, you may have your mains set up to feed from USB as well. Again, I'd look at the mixer's routing setup. I believe the easiest way to solve this would be for you to post a screenshot of both reaper's routing matrix and the mixer's USB return routing and input overview.
Freddie Veggie

Postby seriousnewbie » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:42 pm

tomas_man wrote:I'd say that you have a problem inside reaper's routing, do you mind taking a screenshot of the routing of one of the channels and/or Reaper's routing matrix ?

Also, are your tracks linked in the mixer ? and are they routed to single mono tracks or stereo tracks inside reaper ?
Yes the tracks are linked in the mixer. I am not sure how to post an image here or make it into a link but the OH L > Out , OH R > Out 2, Room L > Out 3, Room R > Out 4. same with inputs.
seriousnewbie
Regular