You are here

voip recommendations

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

voip recommendations

Postby MadManDan » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:12 pm

Hi all.

My environment has both wifi and network challenges. I miss the old copper wire if I need to call 911. Thinking about getting voip. Any recommendations for basic low cost service?

Thanks
MadManDan
MadManDan
Frequent Poster

Late '14 mini 3 GHz i7 16 GB
Catalina 10.15.7. Glyph atomic. FF Scarlet 18i8. 
Sup Drum 3. Cubase 11 Pro
iCon iKb 8x.  Mics, spkrs, 'phones, gtrs, greedy cat

Re: voip recommendations

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:20 am

I was in a similar boat to you and then I realized voip works through the internet so it wasn’t an option for me.
At my studio I have stinkin’ fast internet and voip still glitches and sounds like a bad cellphone connection now and then. In my experience nothing sounds as good as copper but the copper infrastructure up here in Canada is not being well maintained outside of the main cities so even landlines are failing now and then.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Re: voip recommendations

Postby CS70 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 am

MadManDan wrote:Hi all.

My environment has both wifi and network challenges. I miss the old copper wire if I need to call 911. Thinking about getting voip. Any recommendations for basic low cost service?

Thanks
MadManDan

Voip stands for "voice over internet protocol", so if you have internet and network challenges it won't help. Assuming copper is no longer available, ISDN used to be the digital alternative but since IP works usually well, it's quickly becoming obsolete, and it may not even be available anymore in your region. And if it is, it's gonna be expensive.

I'm not aware of any obvious replacement (beyond satellite and other uber-expensive things) so perhaps your best (and only) option is to get the network sorted..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page