You are here

8 channel ADAT for UAD Apollo

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

8 channel ADAT for UAD Apollo

Postby Guido3 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 pm

I'm looking to get an ADAT AD/DA to plumb into my UAD Apollo Twin X. This is purely to run my keyboards through. Most tend to have 8 x Mic Pres which is overkill for my needs as I just need line ins.

The Behringer ADA8200 is a obvious choice but can anyone recommend anything else.
Guido3
Frequent Poster
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Re: 8 channel ADAT for UAD Apollo

Postby James Perrett » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:08 pm

The ADA8200 certainly offers great value for money. Ferrofish make line level convertors but their smallest model is 16 channels each way. SM Pro Audio also used to make various budget convertors but they're no longer available new although you might find one used. Alesis also made the AI3 and a quick look at Ebay shows quite a few Lucid boxes and the odd Fostex box that would work.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby CS70 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:38 pm

As an idea, old high end converters can be often had at the same price as lesser but contemporary kit, at least here. At the studio we ran a Lucid 88192 which is old but good. I was almost getting one for myself at the home setup, but then I found an old ADI-8 PRO 96 for less than a 8th of the price (less than 100 British pounds) in perfect standing, which is more than enough for my needs. Now that was a stroke of luck but if you just wait on the bank of the river..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:10 am

I’d go for the Audient, it’s worth the extra money over something like the Behringer, I’ve used one, and you think it’s going to be fine, it’s only keyboards etc, but it isn’t, the shortcomings soon show up,
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 am

I use 2 Alessis ADAT AI3s. They are no longer in production, but they do come up on ebay quite often for between £50 and £100. They have been absolutely rock solid. They are 8 line ins/outs, no mic pres.

They are switchable between +4 and-10 level. This is really useful, I have one that feeds my rack gear at +4, and one that feeds my guitar amps and pedals, which expect a lower level signal, at -10.

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby SimonZ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 am

Also some of the now nearly obsolete Firewire interfaces such as the MOTU 8Pre can be found cheaply used and they switch to stand alone ADAT convertor mode when no Firewire connection is detected.
SimonZ
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:50 pm

SimonZ wrote:Also some of the now nearly obsolete Firewire interfaces such as the MOTU 8Pre can be found cheaply used and they switch to stand alone ADAT convertor mode when no Firewire connection is detected.

Though one thing to check is whether they need to be set up via Firewire first before you can use them in this way. The Focusrite Saffire Pro26io that I use needed to be set up first though I don't know about the MOTU units.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby nathanscribe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:14 pm

I use a Focusrite Clarett Octopre and it's fine. Works well, feels solid, sounds good.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.