You are here

feedback please on acoustic guitar sound...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

feedback please on acoustic guitar sound...

Postby jamestorridon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:03 am

Hi

I'm getting ready to record a bunch of songs and have set up as well as I can - experimented with bass traps, gobos, mic placement and from what I can tell this is as good as I can currently get it.

The room is not good so it's basically been removed from the equation - close mixing and a lot of absorption.

I would love some feedback on this short clip of fingerpicked acoustic to see if it's going to be useable. It's not had any eq or treatment. CM4s into Apogee Duet 2

Comparing it to some reference recordings, it seems like it might be passable - with some warmth added later

Please shoot from the hip and don't hold back. I'm fully aware I might be completely deluded
n.b. excuse the slips in playing I was moving mics and recordings lots of short clips...

https://roberttorridon.bandcamp.com/track/sample

cheers
jamestorridon
New here

Re: feedback please on acoustic guitar sound...

Postby Albatross » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:51 am

Sounds alright to me. The only thing I think I would do is try and get another mic somewhere to get a bit more 'wood' out of the guitar, it might be useful later when you mix.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:41 pm

It's a little hard to know whether the guitar sound is 'right' without knowing what else will be in the track, but I'm guessing this is for a fairly stripped-down arrangement?

The guitar isn't centred in the stereo field, which may or may not be an issue! It's also out of tune but you knew that.

Second, I wonder if the timbre might be a touch too soft and lacking 'bite'. If you gave me that as part of a mix my instinct would be to cut somewhere around 300Hz and boost somewhere between 1-2 kHz. That could be the result of miking close and focusing on the neck/body join. It could be because your gobos and so on are absorbing a lot of high-frequency sound without really touching the low mid-range. Or it could be that's just how the guitar sounds...

But as I say it's hard to know for sure whether it's right or wrong without hearing it in context.
Sam Inglis

Postby jamestorridon » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Thanks. Yes - obviously you have no context to go on, I was initially looking to see if there were any absolute / fundamental issues with the sound.

I hard panned an AB pair of cm4s. 60 cms apart and 20cm from the guitar, pointing at 12th fret and the bridge. So that’s why it’s not centred.

The Acoustic guitar will be having a different role in different arrangements so yes I will need to be able to capture it differently.

Would you recommend XY for a context where it needs to be more focussed / centered in the stereo field? Or would this mic setup be useable if panned differently?

This guitar is naturally a bit quieter on the upper strings but I agree I think the close micing doesn’t help. Would you guess it’s workable with eq or would you recommend trying to change it at source? Unfortunately close micing is a necessity due to setup atm..
Thanks a lot
jamestorridon
New here

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Obviously this it's very mix dependent but it feels like a pretty useable sound to me, it is very wide though. I'd be tempted to either try an X-Y, or just bring your AB pair a bit closer together.
Alternatively dispense with the idea of true stereo and keep one of the mics around the 12/14th fret and have the other pointing at the body behind the bridge?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:26 pm

I quite like X/Y in situations where the guitar is going to be part of a busy mix. It does tend to sound like 'slightly wider mono' rather than 'big stereo', and sometimes that's exactly what you want.

If I'm doing X/Y I usually arrange the mics vertically rather than horizontally. So both mics in front of the strings, one mic pointing 45 degrees up towards the top of the guitar and the other 45 degrees down towards the bottom. You'll hear how the guitar tone changes as you move left-right along this line and you can settle on a position where it sounds good to your ears.

Here's a little example that I did with an X/Y stereo mic (you might need to right-click to audition the file):

http://www.themorningpeople.com/rough/stereo_guitar_example.wav

To my ears that sounds fuller in the mid-range than your example, which could just be the guitar and the playing but I suspect that mic position also has something to do with it.

There's also a spaced variation on this where you place one mic above the strings and the other below.
Sam Inglis

Postby jamestorridon » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:55 am

All really useful feedback. Thanks everyone.

I’ve heard about that vertical XY across the strings before but not tried it - going to do that now!

Thanks
jamestorridon
New here