You are here

Please Recomend good headphones for mixing.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Please Recomend good headphones for mixing.

Postby Rokas108 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:13 pm

Hello

I am a bit in a dilemma, I moved in to a new place where I have neighbors living bellow and my new room is not very suited acoustically for near field monitors. Because of this I am looking for some reference headphones to mix late in the evening. I already looked at beyerdynamic dt 1990 pro and heard that they are a bit to harsh, I also looked at sennheiser hd 660 s and 650. But people said that they dont have as much clarity as the beyerdynamic dt 1990. So I wanted to ask professional opinion of what headphones you guys use when monitors are hard to use. Do you have any experience with the previously mentioned headphones and do you have any better suggestions.

Kind Regards
Rokas
Rokas108
Poster

Re: Please Recomend good headphones for mixing.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Maximum budget? Always an issue.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rokas108 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:24 pm

Wonks wrote:Maximum budget? Always an issue.

Yes forgot to mention the most important thing. I was thinking maximum 400 pounds.
Rokas108
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:30 pm

The favourites on here seem to be AKG K702/712 and Sennheiser HD650. I have the K702s which I think are great but are well within budget at £120. I'm a live sound guy (retired) and my studio skills are on the limited side so I bought what was recommended on the assumption that if better ears than mine find them acceptable then they'll do for me.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Luke W » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:31 pm

It's usually quite hard to choose this sort of thing without directly comparing them yourself, which is obviously a difficult thing to do with the current situation the world is in... As you've already discovered, one persons "clarity" may just be another persons "harshness"...

There's people on here who have used far more headphones than myself, and most likely in situations that leave them in a better position to able to compare them in a meaningful way. But for what it's worth as another alternative, I've got a pair of Shure SRH1840's and find them to sound very neutral and accurate. They're also comfortable to wear, even over long periods of time, which is something that shouldn't be overlooked.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:36 pm

No question for me at all - AKG K712. Regardless of price these headphones let me make decent mixes, day after day.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mixedup » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:44 pm

I'm a recent convert to Audeze LCD-X. I was surprised — and delighted — at just how much better than my previous cans (HD650) they were. And I'd picked the HD650s by preference over the equivalent AKG and Beyer models...

The LCD-X are pricey, but if they're out of reach I'd suggest looking at other planar magnetic models. Eg the LCD-1 are nowhere near as pricey. And Hifiman Sundara are more affordable and getting a lot of love on the various forums lately — I've not tried either of those yet, so can't actively recommend them outright, but I'd say they're definitely worth looking into.

(If Sam's reading this, I know he's tried a LOT of headphones at a range of prices, so he may well have more words of wisdom to add here than I can!)
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:11 pm

This site has excellent information on headphones https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/

I find the Beyer DT880 gives me all I need, is excellent value and is very comfortable.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:46 pm

The Audeze LCD-1s are nice but they really don't sound like the LCD-Xs, unfortunately. If you want that sound on a budget the best option might be the Avantone Planar model. Or if you prefer something more conventional, I still haven't heard much better than the Shure SRH1840 in that price bracket.
Sam Inglis

Postby Rokas108 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:46 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:The Audeze LCD-1s are nice but they really don't sound like the LCD-Xs, unfortunately. If you want that sound on a budget the best option might be the Avantone Planar model. Or if you prefer something more conventional, I still haven't heard much better than the Shure SRH1840 in that price bracket.

Thanks for all of the replies, I am thinking now between Shure SRH1840 and the Avantone Planar model. It seems that there are a lot of Shure SRH1840 for really cheap but I am a bit weary of buying them since its a bit suspicious to see them going for 190 pounds. Would you say that Avantone Planar for 311 pounds is more worth it than Shure SRH1840?
Rokas108
Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:07 pm

Mixedup wrote:I'm a recent convert to Audeze LCD-X. I was surprised — and delighted — at just how much better than my previous cans (HD650) they were.

Yeah, aren't they? It's so quick to make a mix and it keeps the same balance as with monitors. Worth every penny!

Still perfectly fine to make a mix on other headphones, the LCD-X (to me) made it just so much faster.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby forumuser918214 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:56 pm

Shure SRH1840. As smooth and detailed as Senn and AKG, more extended bass, slightly less comfortable (tighter means lower bass?) but still fine.

Also Sonarworks sells good EQ software based on measurements of different models and will create custom EQ if you send in your phones. But with the SRH1840, the EQ I purchased makes a slight improvement only as the phones are so flat to begin with.
forumuser918214
Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:13 pm

Rokas108 wrote: It seems that there are a lot of Shure SRH1840 for really cheap but I am a bit weary of buying them since its a bit suspicious to see them going for 190 pounds.

The £160.99 ones on eBay UK will almost certainly be a Chinese copy.

The £249.99 "ex-retail store" ones I'm less certain about. Maybe you'd pick up 2 or 3 in a bankruptcy auction, but to have 53 display units?

If you want a guaranteed original product, buy from a reputable dealer. Andertons have them for £397 (though they will order them), so you can certainly get them for under £400.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:12 pm

Wonks wrote:If you want a guaranteed original product, buy from a reputable dealer. Andertons have them for £397 (though they will order them), so you can certainly get them for under £400.

Hifonix have them for £379. I remember trying them a few years back and wanting them, but being too short of cash at the time... They're nice headphones.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Mixedup » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:23 pm

CS70 wrote:Yeah, aren't they? It's so quick to make a mix and it keeps the same balance as with monitors. Worth every penny!

Still perfectly fine to make a mix on other headphones, the LCD-X (to me) made it just so much faster.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. They're somehow both revealing and 'easy'. I've been using them with Acustica Sienna lately and one of the Spitfire Mastering speaker/room emulations. Really impressed. But... now I want to check out all the other stupidly expensive headphones and compare :crazy:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Next