You are here

Please Recomend good headphones for mixing.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Please Recomend good headphones for mixing.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:26 pm

I have nothing to add on the specific headphones in question (they all being out of my price range) but if these are going to be a major mixing tool I would seriously suggest only buying from an outlet that is happy to take no fault returns.
Headshapes and earshapes are very different and one person's 'all day comfortable' is another's excruciating. So if you can't get to a shop to properly try them on (and even then, there's a difference to what feels comfy in the shops and what still feels comfy after three hours of an evening's work) make sure you're buying from a reputable retailer.
I reckon. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby mountain lion » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm

What about pioneer headphones for studio use? Their model names imply they are only for djing?
mountain lion
Regular

Postby manwilde » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:47 pm

Two things: First, if you really get to know your headphones and how to compensate for their flaws, use them. You should be fine. That, at least, is the theory, which leads to: Second, on any web research on "mixing/mastering headphones", Pioneer doesn´t seem to pop up too often... it´s always the usual suspects.
manwilde
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 pm

Headphones are no different to speakers, it depends on the individual and the components of the signal chain. To some a good pair can sound as good as a cheap or expensive pair with little to no difference only the slightest subtle differences. What matters is you as the listener likes what you hear irrespective of anyone else's opinions review or preference. Some like more Bass open middles and screeching highs is there such a thing as balanced considering so called studio monitors come in all sorts of flavours, you can and will get the same issues with any set of headphones, they all have their own character.

You can test your ears for hearable frequencies BUT is there anything similar for clarity and definition? What is the point of spending hundreds of pounds on headphones if your ears are knackered, like mine? It would be great if there was a test or something you could use to gauge your ears on to match the speakers/headphones to suit. Its like playing the guitar through a different set of amp/speaker combi they all sound different, they might all sound great or not, but they will certainly all have heir own characteristics.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:29 pm

I found the Sonarworks headphone reviews very helpful when I was looking at headphones recently. Since I'm not a Sonarworks user (and I'm slightly uncomfortable about using eq in the monitor chain) I looked for the headphones with the flattest response without eq correction and came up with the Sennheiser HD600.

I have also heard good things about them from a number of different people whose opinions I trust. I dare say that the more expensive Audeze headphones could sound better but I couldn't justify spending that much on a pair of headphones.

I bought them from Studiocare in Liverpool and so far I'm very happy with them. They have a similar balance to my monitor speakers which means I'm not having to second guess how things will sound on monitors.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby N i g e l » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:44 pm

Mixedup wrote: I'd suggest looking at other planar magnetic models.

planar magnetic headphones seem to be making a resurgence. Different manufacturers make them in different pricebands but a typical review will invariably say they punch above their weight.

Downsides are they are less efficient so you need a good driver like a mixer or other music orientated kit to use them if you demand high volume levels.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Airfix » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:21 pm

I dare say -- If you really must mix with headphones, mix in mono.
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:46 am

Airfix wrote:I dare say -- If you really must mix with headphones, mix in mono.
Why?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:50 am

The Elf wrote:
Why?
I agree. No reason for this at all. In fact as so many people listen headphones these days, I'd take pan on headphones being more useful in a way.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Airfix » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:38 pm

Mixing for headphones is different than mixing on headphones.
Stereo is the magic.
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:56 pm

Airfix wrote:Mixing for headphones is different than mixing on headphones.
Stereo is the magic.

Yes, it is at some levels (mostly panning), but since listeners may be either listening on one or the other, most of us are attempting to make our mixes work well on both headphones and loudspeakers.

It's only really a set of small checks and tiny compromises, and stereo can sound magic on both!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:24 pm

N i g e l wrote:planar magnetic headphones seem to be making a resurgence. Different manufacturers make them in different pricebands but a typical review will invariably say they punch above their weight.

Downsides are they are less efficient so you need a good driver like a mixer or other music orientated kit to use them if you demand high volume levels.

Must admit I'm quite intrigued by the Avantone Planars. Back in the dear dim days of my youth (early 70s) I had a pair of Wharfedale Isodynamics, which were an early stab at the type and if memory serves me well enough they did sound pretty good. They had a big power requirement as you say and were designed to be plugged into a speaker output rather than a headphone socket.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
Every disaster movie starts with a scientist ignored.

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:45 pm

How many of us buy music that is labelled 'mixed for speakers' or 'mixed for headphones'? :?: ;)

Mixes have to give of their best on any system the end-user chooses. That system may be in their ears, nailed to the wall or placed in the back seat of a car, and may be one speaker or fourty-six, set up well or set up very badly indeed.

Aim for a 'commercially average' mix - not one that purports to favour what you are guessing your audience is listening on.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Aled Hughes » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:36 pm

Why?

I do most (almost all, really) of my work on headphones (AKG K712 + Sonarworks), in stereo, without problems.

And with minimal cross-referencing on other systems too, if I’m honest - that seems a bit of a wormhole to me where you’re constantly trying to compensate for different quirks on every system, and you can’t try them all. Mono Mixcube, bluetooth speaker and car checks for me.

That said, I’m lucky enough to get to track with amazing (and huge) ATC monitors, so a lot of problems get sorted there and then!
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby RichardT » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:48 pm

No way! That would be to shoot myself in the foot.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext