You are here

Drum Sound

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Drum Sound

Postby JRocker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 am

I have a basic drum loop track, no effects or anything added like reverb or compression. What I want to achieve is to make that drum loop have the sound that 'chilled', or for want of better word, have the sound of those hip-hop beats.

My question is, what plugins or effects do I need to add to the loop in order to achieve this kind of sound? I assume reverb and compressor would be a necessity to begin with?
JRocker
Regular

Re: Drum Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 am

I think that depends on what you mean by "chilled." :)
Any chance of a reference track for example?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm

As Drew says examples would help. If we can hear what you have now and something close to what you would like to end up with then we can probably point you in the right direction.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:37 pm

Is this a pre-recorded drum loop, or have you got a few bars of a MIDI pattern playing some VST drums?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 pm

I agree with everyone asking for example audio to help us point you in the right direction. but in the meantime it's still probably worth mentioning the freeware Rough Rider compressor from Audio Damage, which has oodles of attitude:

https://www.audiodamage.com/pages/free-downloads

"Our RoughRider compressor is one of the most popular dynamics processors on the planet, with well over a half a million downloads over its decade-plus lifespan, and is in heavy daily use by producers the world over."

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby JRocker » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 pm

Thanks for the replies so far, and my apologies, I didn't think of adding reference track and an example, so here goes.

This is the reference track I like the 'chilled' drum track on called 'Oceans' and would like my drum track to sound similar:

https://us.audionetwork.com/browse/m/track/oceans_18858

And here is my drum loop track I have, only effect on it is some reverb.

https://soundcloud.com/user-192692353/b ... 9WVh9Tfe75

And thanks Martin for the RoughRider compressor link, that looks great to use.
JRocker
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm

The bass drum sample in the reference is pitched lower and the snare has more of a gated feel to it. The big thing that I noticed on the reference was that the rest of the track was ducked a little for each drum hit which means that compression over the whole mix would have been used. They also have high hats and other 'ear candy' going on with that beat which is missing on yours.

I would say the main issue is using the right samples to start with. You can probably achieve most of the eq and compression needed with the stock plug-ins in your DAW.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page