You are here

Monitor setup help!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Monitor setup help!

Postby MynameisBradz » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:29 am

Hi there,

I recently bought some new studio monitors.

I would like to be able to record audio (usually acoustic guitar using headphones) without having to turn the speakers down every time to avoid feedback - the volume controller is on the back of the monitors. It’s just a bit of a pain to get to.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m due an upgrade on my audio interface and was thinking of a Focusrite 2i2, has anybody used this before? How have you got your studio set up?

Thanks!
MynameisBradz

Re: Monitor setup help!

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Tell us what the full signal path is including your DAW, there may be a simple way of muting the speakers in the DAW.

Otherwise you may need a monitor controller https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=77435#p757837
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Monitor setup help!

Postby Wonks » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 am

The 2i2 is a good interface used by a lot of people. Like almost all audio interfaces, it has a monitor volume control on it so it's easy to turn the speakers down. If your current interface doesn't have such a control, then the Focusrite will probably be a big step up sonically for you and should cover your immediate needs. But knowing your current audio interface would help here.

You may later find that a monitor controller is required, but even the TC pilot X is about 1/3 the cost of the Focusrite 2i2 on its own, and only adds the volume control function without improving anything else. The JBL nanopatch might be a better monitor controller for your application as it also has a mute function, so you can leave the volume control at its standard level without having to reset it each time.

As long as you can place the 2i2 within easy reach though, it will do what you want it to do.

But do tell us more about your set-up.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853