You are here

Which Mic is best suited for my Voice (Shure SM7B used so far)? With audio examples!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Which Mic is best suited for my Voice (Shure SM7B used so far)? With audio examples!

Postby eggshellshedded » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:11 pm

Dear People,

I recently started to make rap music again and as I wanted to improve my sound quality, I bought the Shure SM7B. Before that I used the Gatt Audio LD5
So I was quite happy with my new sound quality, but when I compared it to my older recordings, I noticed, that, even though my sound quality did improve, those older songs had kind of more energy. It could be due to voice changes, as my voice was higher back then. Maybe it was also caused by a more aggressive style of rapping, which wasn’t fitting to my new song, but I also thought about the possibility, that the Shure SM7B wasn’t the best fitting mic for my voice.
I read that some people, including audio engineers had problems with EQing vocals, recorded with a ShureSM7B, when they were aiming for an upfront bright vocal. As that’s how I like and want my voice to be too (I really like the sound of Eminem’s voice e.g.), I consider now buying a new microphone.

So here are two examples of my voice (with just a little compression)

Here recorded with the Shure SM7B
https://soundcloud.com/user-598278098/s ... vSZiv7pRK4

Here with Bass Roll Off and Presence Boost
https://soundcloud.com/user-598278098/s ... 7A5WuNxVut

Here with the Gatt Audio LD-5 (with roll off activated)
https://soundcloud.com/user-598278098/t ... 7xOaSYozz8

So I am sure quality-wise the SM7B is better, as the Gatt Audio LD 5 was much cheaper (and I know that the Gatt sounds thinner, but bear in mind that I will add effects and doubles etc.), but do you think that the Shure SM7B suits my voice?? Or does it reduce the upfront brightness too much? Which kind of microphone could you suggest to me then? The price shouldn’t be much higher than 1k, 500-1000€ is the price range I was aiming for.
The following microphones seem to be good options so far from what I’ve read and heard, but I am open to any kind of suggestions!!

Neumann TLM 102
Neumann TLM 103
AKG C414 XLS
AKG C414 XLII

Here is a picture of my recording situation:
https:*?*?*/59W4yVM

Thank you so much!!!
eggshellshedded

Re: Which Mic is best suited for my Voice (Shure SM7B used so far)? With audio examples!

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:59 pm

I'd guess that you've got used to the over bright sound of the Gatt mic so the more balanced sound of the SM7 comes across as too dull. To my ears the SM7 sounds better - the wispy sound of the Gatt mic sounds wrong to me.

The only thing I would suggest is possibly more acoustic treatment in your recording space or coming in closer to the mic to remove some of the room sound that appears to be present.

Edit: - having just edited your post so that the picture link works, I can see that it looks like you are using a sheet around your recording space. You may want something a bit thicker - duvets are the standard suggestion around here.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Which Mic is best suited for my Voice (Shure SM7B used so far)? With audio examples!

Postby eggshellshedded » Sat May 01, 2021 12:17 am

Thank you for your opinion and for giving me tips to get a better sound!! I will implement them :)
Compared with the Gatt the SM7 sounds also better to me, but do you think that e.g. the AKG C414 would also sound "wrong" on my voice/worse than the SM7B?
eggshellshedded

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 01, 2021 12:45 am

eggshellshedded wrote:Thank you for your opinion and for giving me tips to get a better sound!! I will implement them :)
Compared with the Gatt the SM7 sounds also better to me, but do you think that e.g. the AKG C414 would also sound "wrong" on my voice/worse than the SM7B?

I'm afraid I don't have much experience of the C414 so I'd have to defer to others with more experience of it.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby shufflebeat » Sat May 01, 2021 1:18 am

James Perrett wrote:I'm afraid I don't have much experience of the C414 so I'd have to defer to others with more experience of it.

I wonder if this kind of SOS-speak will ever catch on over the rest of the internet.

I don't really have anything to add on the topic of mics except to say (as an old Punk with a recessive leaning towards music with meaning) the best sound is to sound like you mean it. Anything that facilitates that is the foundation stone upon which everything else is constructed.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby CS70 » Sat May 01, 2021 8:50 am

With the SM7B,I would also get rid of that pop filter.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page