You are here

HELP! Drowning in information!!! Studio Microphone Setup for Podcast / Streaming / Interview

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

HELP! Drowning in information!!! Studio Microphone Setup for Podcast / Streaming / Interview

Postby jesseisajerk » Sun May 02, 2021 8:16 pm

Hi guys!

After weeks of scouring forums and reviews: it has become clear that I am way in over my head- drowning in too much information and too many opinions. So I give up.. I need someone to hold my hand and tell me everything will be alright...

I am tasked with building out a small studio that will be used primarily for streaming and recording talking head / interviews / tutorials- a wide range of topics, but mostly vocals, and anywhere from one to four people. I imagine at some point, some jerk is going to want to play Stairway To Heaven on his guitar there, too..

In my mind's eye, I imagined hanging a couple xlr shotgun mics from the ceiling- just outside of camera, so probably 2-3 feet away from the talent. I also imagined feeding the mics into a Behringer QX1202USB or something similar. Please be gentle.

The studio is about 20ft X 20ft with 9 ft ceilings, and is moderately insulated with acoustic foam. The talent will most likely be seated.

I have a budget of around 500 bucks for 2 mics, cables, mounts, mixer... peanuts for pancakes, I know...

Sound quality doesn't need to be philharmonic- Michael Bublé isn't stopping by anytime soon. I just want it to sound... "good".

Also- I am not married to shotgun mics, it just looked good in my imagination.

Can someone please please please just tell me what to buy?

Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart!

-Jesse
jesseisajerk

Re: HELP! Drowning in information!!! Studio Microphone Setup for Podcast / Streaming / Interview

Postby MOF » Sun May 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Buy four microphones and desk/floor stands, viewers don’t mind and almost expect to see them in shot in that scenario.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Re: HELP! Drowning in information!!! Studio Microphone Setup for Podcast / Streaming / Interview

Postby al_diablo » Sun May 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Agree, don't worry about mics being in shot. It's almost a stylistic choice for a lot of YouTube video makers to have their equipment prominent so I think most people wouldn't be shocked to see some gear.

It's also common to see videos and photos taken in radio studios with the equipment in full view.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby uselessoldman » Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 am

Start off simple with something like some Audio-Technica AT2020 mics, reliable sound good and look good. The mixer you suggested is fine, all then you need are some mic stands and cables.

You should have a few quid spare to even buy a pint for your time
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Tue May 04, 2021 9:34 am

If monitoring is going to be a consideration then you might want to consider a small headphone amp which can take a stereo line (or headphone) input and split it between several listeners with their own volume control. Everyone gets the same mix but at least it can be panned L/R appropriately.

Folks can bring their own headphones which will probably be good hygiene policy anyway.

ART and Behringer do a couple of useful units for not much £$¥€.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.