You are here

SE Munro Egg 150 vs Adam A7X vs Other

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

SE Munro Egg 150 vs Adam A7X vs Other

Postby zingerzingz » Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am

:wave:

After reading the hype of the eggs on SOS and watching a series of 240p videos on YouTube discussing these monitors from 10+ years ago , I am not sure if I have made the right decision getting these monitors.

How would they compare to the A7X's? where would they sit in the modern monitor market?

I haven't personally seen other manufactures take the egg shaped approach? Why may this be if it's all that it's cracked out to be.

I love the look of them!
zingerzingz
New here

Re: SE Munro Egg 150 vs Adam A7X vs Other

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 10:52 am

zingerzingz wrote:I haven't personally seen other manufactures take the egg shaped approach? Why may this be if it's all that it's cracked out to be.

Because it's difficult and expensive! It requires a lot of initial investment in the moldings, and there isn't space or an easy way of building in the amps so you need an external amp box which isn't popular with most customers.

The very first Eggs were actually surprisingly good.

The version I reviewed was the 2012 version: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se-electronics-munro-egg-150

They subsequently revised the electronics very slightly and brought out the revised model in 2015, along with a smaller version later that year.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Wonks » Tue May 04, 2021 11:14 am

At least you should still be able to get some technical support from Andy Munro's current company if anything goes wrong with them.

https://www.sedgewall.com/customers/munro-sonic/

The Adam A7Xs are a roughly two year older design then the sE eggs, first appearing in 2010, with the eggs very late 2011/early 2012.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mixedup » Tue May 04, 2021 11:52 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The very first Eggs were actually surprisingly good.

I remember liking them too. But I wasn't so surprised — Munro previously designed the Dynaudio M-series monitors, which I rate.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby zingerzingz » Tue May 04, 2021 1:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The version I reviewed was the 2012 version: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se ... ro-egg-150

Thanks Hugh, I found this article highly valuable in making a decision so the hunt begun from there, the cost of manufacturing is a fair point, they are quite a rare find on the second hand market so hopefully will retain their value over time.

Wonks wrote:The Adam A7Xs are a roughly two year older design then the sE eggs, first appearing in 2010, with the eggs very late 2011/early 2012.
This is great

I stand corrected! I managed to get a pair of mint Eggs for £650 including the amp which I think is good value?
zingerzingz
New here

Postby Wonks » Tue May 04, 2021 2:17 pm

Well the package cost £2k when new, so anything used that's good quality and under half the price of their new value is good value in my book.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue May 04, 2021 3:05 pm

zingerzingz wrote:I stand corrected! I managed to get a pair of mint Eggs for £650 including the amp which I think is good value?

:-) Can't sell the amp separately....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...