You are here

AST or ASJ logo?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

AST or ASJ logo?

Postby SRV fan » Thu May 06, 2021 2:01 pm

Hi everyone !

This aluminum/metal blue colored logo plate saying AST or ASJ was attached on the output transformer in my amplifier.

Does anyone know what this is or where it comes from?
Could be amplifier builder, studio, artist/guitarist initials, modification... ?

If you have any idea, please let me know!

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/user/cobfuzz
SRV fan

Re: AST or ASJ logo?

Postby Wonks » Thu May 06, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi and welcome.

Maybe some more clues would help. What sort of amplifier? Guitar, bass, valve transistor, rack power amp, hi-fi amp etc? Manufacturer and model? What sort of transformer - standard square frame or toroidal?

The only AST transformer references I can find are some made by Avondale, a British audio manufacturer and AST, a Bulgarian transformer maker.

ASJ throws up almost nothing in a search.

If the amp's been serviced, it may simply be the logo of the amp tech involved.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby SRV fan » Thu May 06, 2021 3:39 pm

The output transformer comes from a vintage Fender Twin Reverb, so that's a guitar amplifier. The transformer is from the Better Coil and Transformer company, but the AST-ASJ logo is probably from something else.
SRV fan

Postby Wonks » Thu May 06, 2021 4:36 pm

I'd agree. If you're not the only owner from new, then it's probably been added at some point when it's been serviced or repaired. Or it could have been an owner's ID mark, just in case it was stolen and then recovered.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853