You are here

Signex Isopatch Bantam-CPT96Db25 Question about balanced and unbalanced signals

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Signex Isopatch Bantam-CPT96Db25 Question about balanced and unbalanced signals

Postby Primary perception » Sat May 08, 2021 1:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I recently bought 4x Signex isopatch bantam- CPT 96DB25 96pol TT-phone.

I’m planning to connect my mixer STUDER 928 with XLR balanced ins and out to it,my outboard gear with XLR ins and out balanced, alongside all my synths, drum machines and pedals that are TS unbalanced.

The Signex patchbay specs. says it works with balanced and unbalanced signals but Im not sure if it will have problem while connecting the unbalanced stuff.

My question is:

Can I connect my synths, drum machines and pedals that needs unbalanced TS to the patchbays with for example Mogami D25-Jacks balanced without any problems when I’m routing the signals through the patchbays via Bantam?

If so, What cables I would have to buy or anyone of you knows others options to do it right?

Thanks
Primary perception

Re: Signex Isopatch Bantam-CPT96Db25 Question about balanced and unbalanced signals

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 08, 2021 1:55 pm

A patchbay just moves all your equipment's connectors to a convenient place. If stuff works plugged directly into the console, it will work through a patchbay, and if you get ground-loop noises plugging directly, you will via a patchbay too.

Your signex panels have AES59 (DB25) connectors on the back, so you'll need some DB25 to TRS breakout cables to plug I to your synth's. One potential problem you'll have is that many keyboards have TS connectors, and the ring terminal of a TRS plug may not get connected, which can cause problems. Also, some pedals need the ring terminal to be shorted to the sleeve terminal to power up -- something that happens with a TS plug inserted but not with a TRS plug... So you may need some TRS-TS adapters for some keyboards and pedals. And some line isolating transformer boxes can be useful for curing ground-loops.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...