You are here

Mic pre into a compressor to DAW?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Mic pre into a compressor to DAW?

Postby The Elf » Mon May 10, 2021 6:35 pm

No, that's fair enough. I think maybe a bit overstated, but I can forgive you that! :lol: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 10, 2021 11:29 pm

MDslammer wrote:I may try compressing the kick/snare mics just to experiment and see what comes out.

Ironically this is one case where I definitely prefer to compress afterwards, as the end result can be so dependent on how the kick and snare fit with everything else in the mix (parallel compression can work wonders for instance, but you can only really adjust this in the context of the overall mix).

Then again, if you get a sound you like with compression recorded on the way in you can always tweak ITB with another compressor later on ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Mixedup » Tue May 11, 2021 6:31 am

The Elf wrote:No, that's fair enough. I think maybe a bit overstated, but I can forgive you that! :lol: :thumbup:

Haha. Yes, this wasn't intended as a persuasive argument... just spelling out the reasons I do it, since you and others seemed unclear about it. There are potential cons too, and recording without processing is a perfectly valid approach.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Sun May 23, 2021 5:09 am

"Should you, or shouldn't you" is NOT the point.

YOU as the "recordist" are tasked with recording the sounds YOU want to hear. The means by which you achieve this are entirely up to you.

Does it sound good? Does it sound closer to what you are going for? Then it's good!

I will give you this little bit of advice however.....record what you want to hear, don't try and "create" a sound via plug-ins or other B.S after the fact.

If it doesn't sound right, it's not ready to be recorded.

Also, MOVE QUICKLY....one of the worst symptoms of the DAW age is people getting bogged down with a billion different options in all phases of recording.

Get the sound you want, get the performance you want....get paid and get going.

Practice makes perfect, so I would suggest A-B 'ing some sounds. Recorded dry, and with compression on the way in.

When you start to grasp the nuances of one vs the other, then you will see how going one way or the other will help get you where you want to go.

But remember.....you need to have a destination. You need to know where you want to go. Once you do, you'll KNOW what to do.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon May 24, 2021 3:55 am

Just get used to turning the mic gain down and record way below any chance of clipping.

Yellow is the new Red! Stay Green.

In digital land you record cold, not hot. If you want the source to sound distorted or 'hot' then just add that to the source itself.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 am

DC-Choppah wrote:Just get used to turning the mic gain down and record way below any chance of clipping.

Yellow is the new Red! Stay Green.

In digital land you record cold, not hot. If you want the source to sound distorted or 'hot' then just add that to the source itself.

This is good advice.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Previous