You are here

Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen: Mic and guitar into zoom (Mac)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen: Mic and guitar into zoom (Mac)

Postby Nappo » Tue May 11, 2021 6:06 pm

A friend and I will soon be playing a small online gig. Therefore we are wondering wether we could use our Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen to connect a guitar and mic to zoom. When trying to connect the mic via the XLR jack and the guitar via line/instrument jack, only one of the instruments seems to work. We're not sure if it's not working because of technical issues or because the interface is not designed for stuff like that. Maybe someone already could gain some expierience with Focusrite hardware and Zoom gigs and might give us some advice.

Any help would be appreciated :)
Nappo

Re: Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen: Mic and guitar into zoom (Mac)

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue May 11, 2021 11:12 pm

Interesting. Can you test it in a DAW to make sure that you are getting signal into the device?

Zoom takes the inputs 1&2 and mono sums them unless you've got the stereo option enabled in the advances settings. Make sure you're using the APP and not the web browser option.

Just tested it with my solo, and it worked fine.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby forumuser931182 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:28 pm

I’m assuming it’s called Solo because it only has one input. You can use a mic OR a guitar. Plugging in the guitar probably disables the mic input ( or vice versa ). You need the real two input Scarlett or use a mixer to combine mic and guitar and feed into the Solo.
forumuser931182
Regular

Postby Rockrooms » Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 pm

forumuser931182 wrote:I’m assuming it’s called Solo because it only has one input. You can use a mic OR a guitar. Plugging in the guitar probably disables the mic input ( or vice versa ). You need the real two input Scarlett or use a mixer to combine mic and guitar and feed into the Solo.

It's called a solo because it was designed for solo artists, with an instrument and mic, it has a separate input for the mic and instrument inputs.

This should work with zoom as zoom takes inputs from 1+2, presumably if you plug in headphones to the solo you can hear both mic + inst?

It does get more complicated if you want a stereo instrument such as piano and mic, something that is a bug bear of mine as someone who has remote piano lessons.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby forumuser931182 » Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 am

I see, in that case have you checked this out.
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/ ... on-Windows
There is also another page for Macs.
forumuser931182
Regular