You are here

Evil neighbours 2

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Evil neighbours 2

Postby kyobona » Wed May 12, 2021 5:39 am

Hi there,

Recently I posted a thread regarding my nasty neighbours.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 15&t=69866

"I need some advice to basically my neighbors our have been recently harassing us by using a stereo system and an microphone. They have been using low to high frequencies and whispering into their mic, which has been projecting right into our home. We have tried an shotgun mic but unfortunately we're unable to captive the sound as it's too directional. The sound feels amplified in our house but difficult to record."

We were offered many helpful insights from the local community but as time gone by we have decided the possible setup and ways to record it for evidence.

We were informed to download a Audio Spectrum Analyzer App and recorded 11hz @ 82 decibels & 8hz @ 75 decibels during to sudden heavyness in the air. Nothing environmental would be a factor as nothing has changed in the local area over the last few years. Is this reading normal? We cannot hear the sound and only feel it.

Or

Buy the following:

"Detecting infrasound requires a condenser mic like most smartphones probably have but then this mic needs to be connected to its A/D converter with a almost DC connection in order to pass the very low frequencies. Then the software must of course record these low frequencies too.

Make sure there are no trucks driving by your building."

Would local Australia, brisbane authorities accept this supportive evidence?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
kyobona
New here

Re: Evil neighbours 2

Postby RichardT » Wed May 12, 2021 9:45 am

I would talk to your local agencies about the situation before doing anything else. Get their advice and you will have a clearer idea what to do.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed May 12, 2021 9:51 am

The advice remains the same as it was in your previous post.

Go to your local authorities and establish what their evidence standard is. Move, or learn to live with it.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am

I'm afraid this forum isn't setup to deal with nuisance neighbour problems, and the kind of issues you're describing require very specific types of Environmental Health sound logging equipment to gather acceptable evidence. You need to talk with your local authorities.

Now, if you need help with MIDI channels or compressor settings, we're your guys! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby shufflebeat » Wed May 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Someone close to me is convinced their upstairs neighbour is conducting a campaign of noise disturbance against him. While not dismissing the possibility that he is correct I also know him to be a bit of a moaner who will quickly become irrationally over-sensitised to anything that attracts his disapproval.

I've suggested he record the offending noise and have offered him use of the kit to do so but he says unfortunately the noise can't be measured.

My reply to him is that although this is not always true, in this case if it can't be measured it's not really happening.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.