You are here

Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun May 23, 2021 6:40 am

Steve Ciccarelli wrote:
My best friend has become popular in the subgenre of "alternative metal" (think Jesu meets something doomy meets really pretty parts) and he just yells at me that all I need is something like a Tascam like he uses.

Going on RME's site now, will report back. Thanks, all!

Hey Steve - your friend isn't in Spotlights by any chance is he?

Anyway . . . one idea to consider is to use RME for the interface to the computer, hanging whatever you fancy for pre's / I/O or DSP off that, be it via ADAT or MADI.

Best of both worlds!
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Re: Had my heart set on a Clarett 4pre to use with Logic, but having second thoughts...

Postby James Perrett » Sun May 23, 2021 2:14 pm

Terrible.dee wrote:DO NOT waste your time tripping on anything to do with Audio interfaces.

MASSIVE waste of time and resources. They are disposable units anyway. Remember that.

You're obviously not an RME owner then. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Steve Ciccarelli » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:02 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:
Steve Ciccarelli wrote:
My best friend has become popular in the subgenre of "alternative metal" (think Jesu meets something doomy meets really pretty parts) and he just yells at me that all I need is something like a Tascam like he uses.

Going on RME's site now, will report back. Thanks, all!

Hey Steve - your friend isn't in Spotlights by any chance is he?

Anyway . . . one idea to consider is to use RME for the interface to the computer, hanging whatever you fancy for pre's / I/O or DSP off that, be it via ADAT or MADI.

Best of both worlds!

No, he's got a project called Planning For Burial - check out his last LP Below the House from 2017.

And RME looks cool but it looks like WAY overkill for me in terms of both price and my skill set.

So now i'm between the Clarett, but also the Presonus 1080c and both the Steinberg UR-RT4 (I admit it might be slightly gimmicky but the Neve stuff does kind of pique my interest) and UR44C.

Does anyone have any experience using any of those with Logic?

Sry for the late bump, but thanks for the help all
Steve Ciccarelli
New here

Postby Dave Rowles » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am

I've got the Clarett 4pre and it works great with Logic, but they all should work fine.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

Steve Ciccarelli wrote:
No, he's got a project called Planning For Burial - check out his last LP Below the House from 2017.

And RME looks cool but it looks like WAY overkill for me in terms of both price and my skill set.

Nice! Not a million miles away from Spotlights actually (throw in a bit of Slint . . . Medicine, Deftones too).

WRT the RME being overkill, did you take a look at this?

https://rme-audio.com/digiface-usb.html

The great thing about this approach, in terms of skillset is . . . you ought not to have to up your IT tech skillset troubleshooting why your AI doesn't bloody work! The other upside is you can change your I/O and not have to deal with another control-panel app . . . so once you're familiar with the RME Totalmix that's pretty much all you'll ever have to deal with.

But anyway, best of luck with your search and thanks for the music recc. :)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Steve Ciccarelli » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:24 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:
Steve Ciccarelli wrote:

Nice! Not a million miles away from Spotlights actually (throw in a bit of Slint . . . Medicine, Deftones too).

WRT the RME being overkill, did you take a look at this?

https://rme-audio.com/digiface-usb.html

The great thing about this approach, in terms of skillset is . . . you ought not to have to up your IT tech skillset troubleshooting why your AI doesn't bloody work! The other upside is you can change your I/O and not have to deal with another control-panel app . . . so once you're familiar with the RME Totalmix that's pretty much all you'll ever have to deal with.

But anyway, best of luck with your search and thanks for the music recc. :)

Thanks for the info, and glad you'll search PFB out - he's quite great. I'll throw Spotlight on my pile to listen to tomorrow cause anything that evokes Slint and Deftones both? i'm sold
Steve Ciccarelli
New here

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:38 pm

Slight misunderstanding I think - it's PFB where I hear echoes of Slint and Deftones.

But you should definitely check out Spotlights, they're awesome! To that end, here's a handy link;

https://spotlights.bandcamp.com/music
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Previous