You are here

Bad VSTi sound again.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bad VSTi sound again.

Postby Arpangel » Mon May 17, 2021 11:46 am

zenguitar wrote:To be fair, the problem is locating the hair rather than the washing.

;)

Andy :beamup:

I’m thinking definitely, it has something to do with the monitoring position, it’s not ideal, especially this brick arch or alcove behind my computer monitor, I move around a lot, and in my last set-up in this room nothing changed, but I’ve expanded, and had to move my monitors, I think I’m going to have to give monitoring priority over synth space!
But that still doesn’t explain the analyse in my plug-in's.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 pm

Try stuffing an old duvet into the alcove and see if that helps as a temporary test. That would kill any unhelpful reflections from the alcove surfaces...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby RichardT » Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Arpangel wrote:
zenguitar wrote:To be fair, the problem is locating the hair rather than the washing.

;)

Andy :beamup:

I’m thinking definitely, it has something to do with the monitoring position, it’s not ideal, especially this brick arch or alcove behind my computer monitor, I move around a lot, and in my last set-up in this room nothing changed, but I’ve expanded, and had to move my monitors, I think I’m going to have to give monitoring priority over synth space!
But that still doesn’t explain the analyse in my plug-in's.

I’m not sure what conclusion to draw from your frequency analysis - but multiple reflections could be causing the kind of problem you’re experiencing. Your alcove could be a good place to put some absorption!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue May 18, 2021 7:28 am

OK, a major reorganisation yesterday, I’ve reversed the layout of the studio which is more monitor friendly.
Each monitor is in the same position relative to walls, boundaries, well away from corners, and rear walls, ear height, and I’ve triangulated my seating position with the monitors, all the same distance. I’ve had to put the monitors on the table, but I’m buying a couple of table stands, I hope they are OK?
If this doesn’t change anything I can’t make it any better, I’ll keep you posted.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 21, 2021 7:42 am

This has turned into a major reorganisation, it’s something I’m not enjoying these days, every time it means rewiring, it takes me ages, I’m still not up and running.
The stands arrived yesterday, I’ll unpack them this morning, and let you know how it all sounds.
I’ve three CD's worth of material in the computer waiting to be mixed and mastered, and none of it is getting done, I’m spending more time wiring and organising than I am making music.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 am

Arpangel wrote:...I’m spending more time wiring and organising than I am making music.

I do this as well.

Check your routing and output settings in Reaper, start from a blank project then use headphones, when you hit a natural brick wall do the rewiring ozf the rest of your system, which you're not using, while considering your next move.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 21, 2021 9:05 am

shufflebeat wrote:
Arpangel wrote:...I’m spending more time wiring and organising than I am making music.

I do this as well.

Check your routing and output settings in Reaper, start from a blank project then use headphones, when you hit a natural brick wall do the rewiring ozf the rest of your system, which you're not using, while considering your next move.

Thanks, I’ll have to put this on hold, busy today, I’ll report back tomorrow.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Fri May 21, 2021 8:42 pm

Quick suggestion - try panning a mono source - does it pan as expected?
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 22, 2021 7:57 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Quick suggestion - try panning a mono source - does it pan as expected?

Hopefully all will be working today, I’ll report back later.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun May 23, 2021 11:33 am

The update you’ve all been waiting for, as Hainbach would say "good to have you back"

:D

Monitoring is the best I’ve ever heard it, well, I think so, it’s the first time I’ve ever put any effort into this, and it seems to have paid off, as little as this.
A major OS update too, and hey presto, for whatever reason my VSTi's sound great, back to normal, but in true un-scientific style, I don’t know why, as I changed three major things all at once, the monitoring set-up, the interface, I’m back to the Berry, and a software update, who knows? But I’m happy, it’s all working fine, so fine I didn’t notice anything untoward yesterday, when disappearing into some modular patching.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun May 23, 2021 12:30 pm

Great news! :thumbup:

...until the next time then! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby UnlivedAttack » Sun May 23, 2021 12:57 pm

Okay... I know this sounds like it shouldn't be possible, but I have experienced bad VSTi sound whenever my VSTi is configured to listen all MIDI channels from my master keyboard.

Although I can't figure out why, there is a huge difference when I configure my virtual instrument(s) to listen on all midi channels vs a single channel. The sounds because 'bleak' and for example Keyscape sounds like a toy piano. If I then change the config to a single MIDI channel it sounds like it should.
UnlivedAttack

Postby The Elf » Sun May 23, 2021 2:32 pm

^^^

Likely this is because you have multiple channels playing the same note, and these duplicate notes result in phase cancellation.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby UnlivedAttack » Sun May 23, 2021 3:32 pm

>> the Elf...

Can you explain that a bit further? For example, I have a Roland Fantom, sending MIDI out over all channels, and in my DAW I have a single MIDI channel configured with a single VSTi.

Are you saying I should limit the Fantom MIDI out to only send on one channel?
UnlivedAttack

Postby The Elf » Sun May 23, 2021 4:53 pm

No, I'm not suggesting anything. I can't suggest a cure, since I don't know what the illness is.

Based on what you've said I would hazard a guess that two identical notes are being played by the receiver and that is why it sounds strange.

As to why... that's something you are going to have to try to track down methodically. A MIDI monitor is always a good idea in these circumstances - see what the instrument that sounds odd is actually receiving.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

PreviousNext