You are here

The future of the pro audio industry?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The future of the pro audio industry?

Postby MOF » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:27 pm

It would be nice if they worked on achieving consistent levels and better diction, really...
:clap:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:58 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:It would be nice if they worked on achieving consistent levels and better diction, really... :headbang:
1. That's a false syllogism!

2. Both issues are the domain of the director and most directors do not want you to hear clear diction as they are trying to tell the story with pictures and action. Gobs of dialog is bad storytelling (IMO). The dialog is not there to tell the story but to help establish character and add to the overall sound design. (This is not really true for 2nd rate television drama, but that's just radio with pictures.)

Hugh Robjohns wrote: when I complained afterwards to the duty manager he denied it and tried to explain that cinema sound was different to my home stereo...
The average cinema night manager has an awareness somewhere between that of a fish and a shoebox.

The old school projectionists however really do and did care about sound and good images. I took our youngest son at age 11 or thereabouts to see 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?' and the projectionist took him into the projection room and showed him how the audio was played out and where the speakers were and explained the concepts of surround sound to him. Ever since then, he loves good audio.

Appreciating good audio must be learned.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:08 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:2. Both issues are the domain of the director and most directors do not want you to hear clear diction as they are trying to tell the story with pictures and action.

Movies without dialogue died out very quickly... Conversely, Radio has always been hugely popular and continues so to be!

Gobs of dialog is bad storytelling (IMO).

I agree... but inaudible dialogue is even worse storytelling. If it's important enough to be said, it should be audible too! :lol:

The average cinema night manager has an awareness somewhere between that of a fish and a shoebox.

This one was, I think, evolutionarily closer to a fish... judging by the aroma, anyway... :lol:

Appreciating good audio must be learned.

Indeed. Sadly, the whole concept of learning seems something of a lost ethos.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Johnsy » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:23 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:... and when I complained afterwards to the duty manager he denied it and tried to explain that cinema sound was different to my home stereo...

I walked out and have never gone back to that venue!

Kudos Hugh. It's easy to imagine a less classy technical editor of a less classy high-tech music magazine having a "Don't you know who I am?!" moment there!
Johnsy
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:41 am

I'm an old nerdy geek who writes about nerdy geeky stuff in a nerdy geeky magazine... so no one knows who I am... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:02 pm

Oh I don’t know. I seem to recall a famous muscle man photo making the rounds!
:ooo:
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Albatross » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:34 pm

MOF wrote:
It would be nice if they worked on achieving consistent levels and better diction, really...
:clap:

I saw a movie a few years back and the chap in that had an absolutely enormous diction.
Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:59 pm

:lolno:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:46 am

Boogie Nights?
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:45 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Movies without dialogue died out very quickly... Conversely, Radio has always been hugely popular and continues so to be!

Yes, radio is still thee most powerful story telling medium, apart from books!
The reason is that your imagination can create worlds, characters, images suggested by the audio, and it gives you free reign, silent films give you that on a plate, but lack everything else, its not satisfying or interesting in any way to have to imagine the way things or people sound.
The art of good radio is still the ultimate in entertainment for me.
The director Jaques Tati was a master of sound in his films, very minimal, but they suggest and enhance a mood or a place so well, one of my favourite films is Blue, by Derek Jarman, just a blue background, but the sounds, musuc, and dialogue are so powerful they don’t need anything else.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Albatross » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:34 am

ManFromGlass wrote:Boogie Nights?

No, Flash Gordon ...

Albatross
Frequent Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:03 am

RichardT wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:
RichardT wrote:There are three main things I’m looking forward to.

The first is software that understands complex spoken instructions - what a time-saver that will be.

The second is software that really understands music - so for example, sampled instruments that play back phrases as a real musician would, a DAW that can add decent backings automatically, or automatically correct a poor performance.

The third is direct neural stimulation of the brain by playback systems - that way people will be able to hear high quality music wherever they are.

1.......Or you could learn to do the job yourself.

2. .....Or you could learn to understand music yourself.

3.....or you could........HUH?!?!?........Why would you want "music" streamed into your brain?......by the way. This tech ALREADY EXISTS......and it is HIGHLY DANGEROUS.

Yes I can do it myself - but sometimes it would be a lot quicker to have some assistance!

Why would I like music streamed into my brain? To get the best sound quality possible and not be limited by where I am.

How do you mean the technology exists and it’s highly dangerous?

If you look on youtube for something like "US Military test streaming thought directly into the human mind."....something like that. You will see the US Military conduct a test where they actually stream a FEAR response directly into the brain of about 20 people.

I saw that video several YEARS ago now.....I was actually surprised that they were being so open about this new tech, as it is crossing a line, ethically, that shouldn't be crossed.

Then I realized they were being open about it to normalize it. Introduce the public to it in an "Aww shucks! Look at what we can do now everybody!" kind-of-way. So the reality and implications of what they able to do....at this very moment.....don't seem as fearsome as they truly are.

There are also documented cases where "Paranoid Schizophrenia" was artificially produced by the Military. Lives have been destroyed and people tortured using this tech. It truly is evil, and violates the sanctity of an individual's mind.

Keep in mind, I saw this several years ago now......and if that is what they were letting the public know, then you can count on the fact there is plenty they can do with it that they WON'T let the public know.

And ask yourself why they are DYING to get their 5G networks up and running as quickly as possible?

We live in interesting times.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:29 am

They're definitely out to get you...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Luke W » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:37 am

Terrible.dee wrote:And ask yourself why they are DYING to get their 5G networks up and running as quickly as possible?

Because the current generation infrastructure can't provide enough bandwidth/speed to keep up with the ever increasing demand placed on it?

Call me crazy... :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Studio - Techical Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby Albatross » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:39 am

More likely cock up than conspiracy. From what I see of gov, even given the appropriate number of glasses, bottles, barrels and manufacturing facility they would be unlikely to be able to organise a piss up.

Or, perhaps that's all part of the diversion :crazy:
Albatross
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext