You are here

The future of the pro audio industry?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The future of the pro audio industry?

Postby forumuser641699 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:06 pm

I'd like to see a less is more approach. I was looking last couple of days at all the daws on the market and they're so bloated, just too many features.

With the growing interest in dawless, I think there's a gap in the market for a hardware box that gives me intuitive recording and mixing. I work on a computer all day long, when it comes to music I'd rather not, something crossed between and MPC and a Tascam model 12 would interest me.
I actually bought an MPC One but I can't make head nor tail of the OS in that machine. I can't even figure out how to load a song, one would think menu/load song would be obvious, well, not so. I'm too old for that BS. I like the pattern-based approach which is why I bought it but it's gathered dust since arriving. Clearly, there's an interest and a gap in the market here, Yamaha should step into the niche.
Something with limitations but modern connections. It's like pro tools, huge feature set but I probably only need 10% of what it does. Give me that in a box I can just switch on and it's ready to rock and will do me for 20 years without an OS update in sight.
forumuser641699
Poster

Postby Mike Shand » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:27 pm

The third is direct neural stimulation of the brain by playback systems - that way people will be able to hear high quality music wherever they are.

As someone whose ears are not what they once were, I would find that very exciting, but sadly I fear I will be long gone before anything like this comes to fruition, if ever.

Mike
Mike Shand
Poster

Postby RichardT » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:52 pm

Mike Shand wrote:
The third is direct neural stimulation of the brain by playback systems - that way people will be able to hear high quality music wherever they are.

As someone whose ears are not what they once were, I would find that very exciting, but sadly I fear I will be long gone before anything like this comes to fruition, if ever.

Mike

Me too! Unless we ask Elon Musk to take a look....
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby RichardT » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:54 pm

forumuser641699 wrote:I'd like to see a less is more approach. I was looking last couple of days at all the daws on the market and they're so bloated, just too many features.

With the growing interest in dawless, I think there's a gap in the market for a hardware box that gives me intuitive recording and mixing. I work on a computer all day long, when it comes to music I'd rather not, something crossed between and MPC and a Tascam model 12 would interest me.
I actually bought an MPC One but I can't make head nor tail of the OS in that machine. I can't even figure out how to load a song, one would think menu/load song would be obvious, well, not so. I'm too old for that BS. I like the pattern-based approach which is why I bought it but it's gathered dust since arriving. Clearly, there's an interest and a gap in the market here, Yamaha should step into the niche.
Something with limitations but modern connections. It's like pro tools, huge feature set but I probably only need 10% of what it does. Give me that in a box I can just switch on and it's ready to rock and will do me for 20 years without an OS update in sight.

It’s very easy for an MPC-type device to have an opaque interface - there are more functions it needs to have than buttons!
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Trevor Johnson » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:08 pm

The RB is correct about video being the prime driver.

Which DAW you use is of absolutely no relevance. Relevance is how your market, i.e. consumers listen to your output, which generally means video plus audio on a smartphone, not on mine, or yours, reference monitors.

My latest Canon camera, (I have used Canon for decades), will do 8K video, but it's a stills camera. that does video. If Canon didn't think video was the way forward, why would they promote it that way?

A.I. The last 18 months, for me, have been stunning in how AI, (OK machine learning, mainly), has revolutionised my still and video output. The same must be on the cards for audio restoration, but the market for that is so tiny, it may be forgotten.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:46 pm

forumuser641699 wrote:I'd like to see a less is more approach. I was looking last couple of days at all the daws on the market...

Hyperbole methinks... betcha didn't... :)

... just the major players I suspect...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:48 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:A.I. The last 18 months, for me, have been stunning in how AI, (OK machine learning, mainly), has revolutionised my still and video output. The same must be on the cards for audio restoration, but the market for that is so tiny, it may be forgotten.

Izotope are possibly starting down that route but their current tools are far from perfect and there is obvious potential for improvement. It is always worth looking at the programmes for the AES conferences to see where the research effort is being expended.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:34 am

Getting rid of wires would be a major innovation - but there really does not seem to be much movement in that direction.

Really? My last analogue system had 32 phono to phono leads between the recorder and mixer and 14 jack to jack leads for keyboards, rackmount modules and drum pads and a similar number of 5 pin midi leads that I no longer need.
If I’m not hooking up old gear to revisit old songs then I need a microphone cable, Thunderbolt cable, usb cable to the controller keyboard and two jack to xlr cables for the active speakers.

1. What developments are you most excited about? and why?

None. Every technical advance made in the past few years has added nothing to the quality of music. If anything, most popular, jazz and even classical music today is formulaic and boring.
Well for me it’s been the miniaturisation of technology, having a virtual studio in an iPhone is mind blowing.
For someone who started out with bulky, expensive mains powered machines and reels of tape that only held half an hour of material at 15 ips, and was essentially a linear system, I appreciate that, especially what digital technology allows us to do e.g. precision editing with undo, modelled instruments, effects and equipment.
Then there’s the material science in such instruments as Roli keyboards, even though I can’t get on with mine and will sell it soon, you have to be impressed with what it allows musicians to do that wasn’t possible ten years ago.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:28 am

zingerzingz wrote:As for the future, I'm excited to see what manufactures do with expressive/gesture based controllers l similar to the Roli or Touche products, something different, interactive and fun.

These are certainly different, very interactive, and may be fun, but things like the Fairlight, Synclavier, new things at the time, produced very little worthwhile music, considering the amount of musicians that could have taken them up, few made really good use of them, same with alternative controllers, but they are even more difficult to assimilate, in reality they can all too often become forgotten gimmicks.
Given current trends, the future seems to be populated by reissues, or re-imaginations of past instruments, traditional things, that people feel comfortable with.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby Moroccomoose » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:36 am

I'm with Red Bladder on this, a move to fewer or zero wires would be very welcome. Of course I want zero latency too!

Oh and a biggie.... please just let me use more than one audio interface at once! I'm sure we can do better than ASIO4ALL in the third decade of the 21st century!

The thought of AI music makes me shudder! Where is the joy in that?

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:06 pm

Moroccomoose wrote:I'm with Red Bladder on this, a move to fewer or zero wires would be very welcome. Of course I want zero latency too!

Oh and a biggie.... please just let me use more than one audio interface at once! I'm sure we can do better than ASIO4ALL in the third decade of the 21st century!

The thought of AI music makes me shudder! Where is the joy in that?

Stu.

Yes, wiring is a total pain, but it’s simple, and reliable, god forbid any wireless alternatives that involve apps, or wireless, what a total nightmare that would be if anything went wrong.
And yes again, more interfaces would be good, but more cheaper ones with more inputs would be handy, like 24 or 32, that may entice some of us over from our mixers.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:38 pm

UAD interfaces can be stacked.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Cascading-
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:02 pm

things like the Fairlight, Synclavier, new things at the time, produced very little worthwhile music, considering the amount of musicians that could have taken them up, few made really good use of them, same with alternative controllers, but they are even more difficult to assimilate, in reality they can all too often become forgotten gimmicks.
Just taking the sampling function alone I have to disagree, whether it’s Kate Bush using the Fairlight extensively or the Dance genre taking small samples off records and building up new tracks and no doubt many more subtle uses, i.e. not obviously gimmicky, within tracks the sampler is everywhere.
As for controllers, how about the different flavours of midi guitar, drum pads and such things as the D beam?
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby VOLOVIA » Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:30 pm

We have seen all kind of guitar rigs simulations and the level has been reached now that in many blind tests, experts cannot tell if it's a Kemper say or a vintage valve amp+cab, etc. And even better ones are appearing on the market all the time.

On synths, this is the same, with filters' emulations almost indistinguishable from vintage ones....

What is missing is some kind of AI-driven software to transform the tonal characteristics of a voice. Of course, now we can already tune and transpose easily and effectively, but we cannot turn a (tuned) squeaky voice into Stevie Wonder. Of course, I am not talking about the expression of delivering, but the tone, from the small 'pipes' of mine to those of Peter Gabriel. Why has it not been done already, I wonder?
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby James Perrett » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:21 pm

MOF wrote:
UAD interfaces can be stacked.
https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articl ... Cascading-

As can RME and certain Focusrite interfaces. This limitation may also be rendered obsolete by the increasing use of network protocols like Dante.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

PreviousNext