You are here

Audio Treatment - Walk-in Closet vocal booth

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Audio Treatment - Walk-in Closet vocal booth

Postby gabrielelek » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:24 pm

Hey everyone, I just moved into a new apartment and I have this dope little walk-in closet that’s dimension are 5’x2.75’x8’ and there are no shelves or racks anywhere inside, just dry wall. And a wood floor. I think with enough treatment it could make a perfect in home recording booth, mainly intended for vocals.

I have an idea of how I’m going to treat the walls but my biggest concern is the height of the ceiling. With it being 8’ tall I feel like there is going to be a lot of head room and I am hoping you all may have some suggestions on how to deal with that.
gabrielelek

Re: Audio Treatment - Walk-in Closet vocal booth

Postby TheLegit » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:05 pm

You'd be surprised how easy it is to get a good dry vocal with a minimum of fuss. Just start by putting foam sound tiles on one side and get a Reflexion Filter. Back to the wall, sing into the RF and see how that records. This would literally be a 15 minute job sticking the tiles up. The room I'm in is around 8ft tall and that has no impact on the reflections in my case. I do have a carpet however just so you know. The total size of the foam tiling by the way is 120cm tall x 90 cm wide not even remotely covering the full wall.
TheLegit
Regular

Re: Audio Treatment - Walk-in Closet vocal booth

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:24 pm

For my money that's too small to be of use as a booth. Does it open on the short side or the long one?
If the long side then your best bet is to stick a rail in and use it as a wardrobe. Open the doors and have your back to it when you record and it'll do a good job as an absorber.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...