You are here

Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

Postby sepandee » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Again, so much wonderful advice here. Wasn't expecting this many replies, so thanks so much.

Yes, I'll check out my local shops. Thanks to the person who pointed out one specifically here in Barcelona.

As for portable vs not portable, I don't plan on moving it much, except maybe occasionally from one room to another.

And I decided I need it to feel more like a piano. That should be the primary concern. After that comes the ability to record some music with different instruments, and as I'm a newb, nothing too complicated that might make it overwhelming. Once I get better, then maybe I can get something more fancy.

I did like the sound on the S88 Mk2, as shown in the video.

Pre-S1000 days, sequencer, loading system, moog leads... heck, even synthesizer.... I have no idea what any of these mean, lol. But everyone starts from somewhere, right? I guess I need to first understand the concept of 'sound' before I understand anything else.
sepandee
New here

Re: Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

Postby RichardT » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:55 pm

And I decided I need it to feel more like a piano. That should be the primary concern. After that comes the ability to record some music with different instruments, and as I'm a newb, nothing too complicated that might make it overwhelming. Once I get better, then maybe I can get something more fancy.

If you want a piano-like experience, you want a ‘weighted action’ - not semi-weighted, which is not like a piano atall. I’d strongly recommend getting an 88-key keyboard - anything else just doesn’t feel like a piano to play.

Make sure it has a midi output too.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby S.Crow » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:07 pm

sepandee wrote:I did like the sound on the S88 Mk2, as shown in the video.

Keep in mind that is purely a controller so makes no sound itself.
He was using it to play sounds on the computer.
S.Crow
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:36 pm

S.Crow wrote:

(VSL Bösendorfer)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby sepandee » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:40 pm

BJG145 wrote:
S.Crow wrote:

(VSL Bösendorfer)
See? Didn't I say I don't know anything? lol. Now I just feel dumb! :clap:

Good to know, good to know. Thanks. I guess best way is really to go to the store then and talk to someone there, in my broken half-spanish, half-french.
sepandee
New here

Previous