You are here

Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

Postby GC » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:27 am

As you're in Barcelona I'd suggest you just head to Alfasoni - Calle Peru, 72.
They're your local gear mega-store.
They stock pretty much all the brands people are talking about on this thread.
https://alfasoni.com/
GC
Poster

Re: Advice for classically-trained piano player but clueless about keyboards and recording

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:43 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:I was happily in my own little world going a bit nuts on my friend's Fantom some time ago and he sneakily recorded some of it. It's a bit messy in places but you'll get an idea of the dynamics.
I wish I had but one ounce of that kind of talent!

I had the new Fantom here for a short time. I liked a lot of things about it, but as a workstation it seemed only 25% finished. The 'Ableton Live'-style sequencer is appalling and the woeful sample loading system feels like pre-S1000 days!

But it sounded fabulous, and the keyboard was lovely (though I'm not much a fan of weighted keys generally).
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:48 am

It partly depends on whether you want something portable. If you're focussed mainly on a realistic piano action and you're not intending to move it around, you might find something like a Clavinova or Roland FP might fit the bill.

Likewise, if you'll only be working with different sounds for your compositions at home, you don't need these built in. A subscription to something like Roland Cloud or EastWest ComposerCloud will get you a huge range of sounds to play through a computer for a reasonable monthly fee.

Another thought is that, purely for piano, you might want the most piano-like feel possible, like a graded hammer-action keybed which is weighted differently across the keyboard. But this may not serve you so well for strings or Moog leads. Again, when exploring different sounds, you may want aftertouch to provide expression, which might not be available on some digital pianos.

Any high-end synth by some of the manufacturers that have been mentioned like Korg, Yamaha, Roland, Nord, Kurzweil should serve you well as a portable 'stage piano' with a good action and a range of built-in sounds. (I'm always lusted after a Nord Stage myself.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:30 am

I'm personally now holding out for the Kurzweil K2700.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:44 am

Fully weighted keys Elf...? You'll have to put in some training. :D
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby S.Crow » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:40 pm

MOF wrote:Upto £2k budget I would suggest Kontrol S88 with Komplete software.
There are bundles that will save you money over buying them separately.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ntrol-s88/
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/komplete/

Any feedback on the keybed of the S88 Mk2?
I have a reasonable idea about the Kontrol/NKS ecossytem but am wondering about the board itself?
S.Crow
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:46 pm

BJG145 wrote:Fully weighted keys Elf...? You'll have to put in some training. :D
I always have one set of fully weighted keys. And lockdown has seen me practicing... :)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:42 pm

I have the Komplete S49 and absolutely love it, I also have the Nektar Impact 88+ which for the money I think was a bargain. Some people complain about the black notes on the Komplete being a little noisy and yes they are louder than the white ones, but its marginal at best. I bought the S49 for size and you can completely customise the keys anyway you want and move up/down scales with the press of a button so you still have the full 88 keys available just not all at the same time and you can have more than one instrument/track using the splits. But the screen is what won me over being able to browse the vsts and Kontakt libraries and presets is so cool. Yes its not a Roland Moog Yamaha, who cares? None of them support nks and that is what I wanted !!

You have full access to Serum and many more of the very best VST synths, it beats anything else out there on the market.

I do not see the point of wasting money on digital keyboards since they're all out of date in 5 yrs and you move on, so its being prudent - why throw money down the drain unless it is paying its way.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:52 pm

I have a reasonable idea about the Kontrol/NKS ecossytem but am wondering about the board itself?

Try this at 5’ 10”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5YAGamiug
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:16 pm

hahahaha poor Guy, he did buy one finally after I had been on at him for ages. He used the M-Audio pro workstation before, I also have one of them but it was getting old and needed work now stored away in the garage - somewhere.
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby S.Crow » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:18 pm

MOF wrote:

Try this at 5’ 10”
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5YAGamiug

Thanks. I did watch that last night.
One of his more rambling reviews but he clearly liked the keybed.
He did go on about the lights as much as anything which was a bit disconcerting.
Have to decide if I have the space for it.
S.Crow
Regular

Postby MOF » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:49 pm

He did go on about the lights as much as anything which was a bit disconcerting.
They’re very useful when playing restricted zones e.g. violins over a few octaves and then the corresponding articulations with different colour coded keys.
I haven’t watched the whole video, I just skimmed to the point where he started playing it.
I have the S61 synth action keyboard plus a now very old Roland Rhodes, I was very tempted by the S88.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:50 pm

uselessoldman wrote:I do not see the point of wasting money on digital keyboards since they're all out of date in 5 yrs and you move on, so its being prudent - why throw money down the drain unless it is paying its way.

That's an opinion, but one I completely disagree with. I've got plenty of digital synths, some of which are approaching 30 years old now, all of which are as useful as they ever were and which I would hate to be without!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby The Elf » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
uselessoldman wrote:I do not see the point of wasting money on digital keyboards since they're all out of date in 5 yrs and you move on, so its being prudent - why throw money down the drain unless it is paying its way.
That's an opinion, but one I completely disagree with. I've got plenty of digital synths, some of which are approaching 30 years old now, all of which are as useful as they ever were and which I would hate to be without!
I disagree too, for similar reasons!

And there are no guarantees that NI's support for their preset scrolling system (which is all it essentially is) will still be supported in 5 years' time!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:32 pm

Arpangel wrote:Hi, an 88 note electronic keyboard of any type, will take up just as much physical horizontal space as a compact upright acoustic piano, I’m like you, primarily a pianist, started out learning classical music, I need a "proper" keyboard, I understand, and an acoustic piano would be my first choice, even though I’ve left that world behind now, it’s still important to me, I would try and make space.

Width, sure, but not depth or height! Or weight, come to that.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext