You are here

Trying to connect from Toslink SPDIF Output to Coaxial SPDIF Input

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Trying to connect from Toslink SPDIF Output to Coaxial SPDIF Input

Postby mafoster1 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:46 am

Hello everyone!

I'm in need of some help as I'm trying to connect two of my audio interfaces to one another via spdif, however they both use different spdif connector types (one being a toslink output to go to a coaxial input, and vice versa). For reference, my main interface is the Babyface Pro FS, and I want to take advantage of the low latency dsp routing in Total Mix FX to send headphone mixes to my Scarlett 6i6 via spdif without setting up an aggregate audio device and routing through my DAW (Pro Tools).

Basically, I just want to use the Scarlett as a Headphone Amp for up to two persons using the analog outputs. I've been searching the internet for a cable that goes between the two connector types, but alas, it seems like that might not exist (as far as what my search results have shown me). Does anyone have any tips on how I could achieve this setup?

P.s. I can only route to the physical/software/digital i/o of the Babyface through the Total Mix software (not to i/o from aggregated audio devices), hence why using the SPDIF connection would be my bet for synching the Scarlett to the RME clock and being able to send a custom mix to the headphone outputs of the Scarlett (that would be the same for both HPs but for simplicity/latency-sake I think would be the best solution).

Thank you in advance for your time, and I'm looking forward to your responses.
mafoster1

Re: Trying to connect from Toslink SPDIF Output to Coaxial SPDIF Input

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:45 am

You won't find a cable; you need a box!

Some electronics are required to convert the light flashes from the optical output into data voltages for the coax input. So a box like
this one from Amazon. Other similar solutions are available...

Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:49 pm

Agreed - some years ago I bought an M Audio CO2 (Coaxial/Optical) converter box, which offered conversion in either direction, and it's come in very handy, especially when other musicians arrive at my studio and want to plug their digital I/O into mine.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby mafoster1 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:34 am

Thank you so much both for your replies! I'll definitely check these out. I hope the conversion doesn't introduce too much of a delay for my clients listening to themselves while I record. I'll try it out and come back with an update on how it's working out!
mafoster1
Regards,
Milton Foster.

https://www.miltonfoster.com/

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:47 am

mafoster1 wrote:I hope the conversion doesn't introduce too much of a delay...

There is no latency at all. Zero.

It's actually a completely analogue conversion process which is simply turning the presence or absence of light pulses into high or low DC voltages (or vide versa) at very high speed.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...