You are here

Can I move my Kontakt libraries?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Can I move my Kontakt libraries?

Postby Gone To Lunch » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:22 pm

I am using DP 9 on a Mac Pro 5.1 using High Sierra 10.13.6

All of my libraries for use in Kontakt are in my users/shared directory, which is where NI and others choose to put them, ie the default location.

Is there any way I can move them to other drives, as that drive is filling up?
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Re: Can I move my Kontakt libraries?

Postby BJG145 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:45 pm

Kontakt is quite forgiving, usually it's just a case of moving the library folder then browsing for it next time you want to use it.

https://support.native-instruments.com/ ... KT-Library
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby RichardT » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:52 pm

Or you can do it through Native Access.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby uselessoldman » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 pm

Both of the above will work just fine, but the quickest and easiest way depending on the Kontakt version is go into the Kontakt folder once you have moved the instrument folders and run add libraries. This will update the library database & registry and you can do all of them at once not just individually.

Similarly in Kontakt, missing ones will come up with a red question mark if not found and you can navigate to the nicnt file and Kontakt will update. If you are running Kontrol you will also have to run it so it can update its own database.

I should add this was based on a windows system not mac but I am sure they will be similar
uselessoldman
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:31 pm

uselessoldman wrote:Both of the above will work just fine, but the quickest and easiest way depending on the Kontakt version is go into the Kontakt folder once you have moved the instrument folders and run add libraries. This will update the library database & registry and you can do all of them at once not just individually.

Similarly in Kontakt, missing ones will come up with a red question mark if not found and you can navigate to the nicnt file and Kontakt will update. If you are running Kontrol you will also have to run it so it can update its own database.

I should add this was based on a windows system not mac but I am sure they will be similar

I can second this, I moved my Kontakt libraries in exactly the same way, on a Windows machine. One thing I learnt not to to do is move the .dll files, I ended up in a right mess, even when I put the .dll back, my settings were lost and in my experience the mixer in Kontakt is a pig.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)