You are here

Change the volume easily while recording

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Change the volume easily while recording

Postby nifaun » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:30 pm

I would like to affix a tool to the microphone so that the singer can change the volume which is coming through the headphone during recording. But I dont know what it is called and where to look for.
nifaun
New here

Re: Change the volume easily while recording

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:52 pm

I use a Behringer HA400 headphone amplifier in the vocal booth which allows you to connect 4 sets of headphones, each with their own volume control. It accepts line level or headphone level inputs.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby forumuser931182 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 pm

I think what your’re talking about is the Behringer MA400 which has a mic input and through on xlr and also a monitor input and you can adjust the level of both. A number of companies make or did make similar , Samson also had a similar model.
forumuser931182
Regular

Postby nifaun » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:11 am

I see but I'm searching for a tool witch I can affix to the microphone, with a clip for example.
nifaun
New here

Postby manwilde » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:56 pm

I wouldn´t recommend that... better leave the microphone alone to avoid handling noises while recording and extra weight and cabling next to it.
manwilde
Regular

Postby RichardT » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:14 pm

What DAW are you using? Cubase for example has a nice solution for this where you can control the performers’ individual mixes and volumes using a tablet app.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:50 pm

nifaun wrote:I see but I'm searching for a tool witch I can affix to the microphone, with a clip for example.

It would be better to put the device on something like a music stand next to the mic. Or you can buy music holders that attach to the mic stand but I'd be worried about any unwanted noises being transmitted through the stand caused by the performer adjusting the level while recording.
James Perrett

Postby manwilde » Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:11 pm

RichardT wrote:What DAW are you using? Cubase for example has a nice solution for this where you can control the performers’ individual mixes and volumes using a tablet app.

Same with Reaper, and probably many others too..
manwilde
Regular

Postby nifaun » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:25 pm

James Perrett wrote:
nifaun wrote:I see but I'm searching for a tool witch I can affix to the microphone, with a clip for example.

It would be better to put the device on something like a music stand next to the mic. Or you can buy music holders that attach to the mic stand but I'd be worried about any unwanted noises being transmitted through the stand caused by the performer adjusting the level while recording.

I see
nifaun
New here

Postby nifaun » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:31 pm

James Perrett wrote:I use a Behringer HA400 headphone amplifier in the vocal booth which allows you to connect 4 sets of headphones, each with their own volume control. It accepts line level or headphone level inputs.

Sounds good, what kind of cable do I need for the input of the amplifier?
nifaun
New here

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:19 pm

nifaun wrote:
James Perrett wrote:I use a Behringer HA400 headphone amplifier in the vocal booth which allows you to connect 4 sets of headphones, each with their own volume control. It accepts line level or headphone level inputs.

Sounds good, what kind of cable do I need for the input of the amplifier?

What will you be connecting it to? If you are connecting it to a headphone output then you'll need a TRS jack to TRS jack cable. If you are connecting it to a pair of line outputs you will probably need a TRS jack to 2 TS jack cable but some outputs might need something different.
James Perrett