You are here

Alesis i02

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Alesis i02

Postby pipsqueak » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:37 pm

I'm thinking of buying the Alesis i02 audio interface, but can't find any reviews online, has anyone used this product before? any advice appreciated.
Thanks!
pipsqueak

Re: Alesis i02

Postby tea for two » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:54 pm

Heya Pip

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/jun07/a ... isio26.htm

When i first read the review a yr n half ago i thought what a superb idea to have inserts in each channel.
I think its the only adio interface of its kind at that price that has this.

The io2 is the io26 just with less channels, as is the io14.
There maybe user opinions of these on SOS forums.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby comradec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:35 am

The iO|2 was rather overshadowed in the reviews because Alesis brought out three audio interfaces at the same time - the iO|2, the iO|14 and the iO|26 - and the one with the highest specification was bound to get the most coverage. I think they'd have been better off bringing it out a few months later when they could have referred to the other units' many favourable reviews.

Anyway, I haven't used an iO|2 myself, but I've seen many people praising and recommending it in numerous musician forums, including this one.

And, like many other Alesis products, it sure does look cool for a budget interface.

comradec
Frequent Poster
Steve Cooke http://soundcloud.com/stevecooke

Postby comradec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:47 am

table for two wrote:... i thought what a superb idea to have inserts in each channel. I think its the only adio interface of its kind at that price that has this.

The only one I can think of. As the original poster is a newcomer, I'll just add that the inserts on each channel enable you to connect effect modules/sound processors to it. This is particularly useful if you're recording vocals, bass, guitars, drums and some acoustic instruments, as you can add a compressor to the signal as it comes in.

Bear in mind, though, that you don't need to connect effects units to the iO|2. It works fine without that.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:54 am

If you can stretch to it, get the IO|14. I have one and I think it's excellent.

It has more inputs of course which, whilst you may think you don't need them (yet), there may well come a time when you do and you'll regret getting the basic one. A quick search shows some places doing them for not a lot more than the IO2.

The IO|14 is also self powered over Firewire which is more convenient - no wall wart power supply and extra cables.

I also happen to know that the Alesis IOs have very good quality pre-amps in them - far better than those found in their mixers. I am surprised that Alesis' marketing didn't make more of that.

And yes - they are built like brick sh!thoues and yes, those inserts are an inspired idea - I can't think why no-one did it before.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby comradec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:03 am

hollowsun wrote:And yes - they are built like brick sh!thoues and yes, those inserts are an inspired idea - I can't think why no-one did it before.

It's certainly a good thing for those buying the iO|14 and iO|26, but their inclusion with the iO|2 is more suprising as the majority of two-channel audio interface users probably don't have any outboard gear to connect to the inserts.

It's added value though and gives lots of potential for someone to expand their recording setup.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby comradec » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 am

hollowsun wrote:If you can stretch to it, get the IO|14. I have one and I think it's excellent.

Is the iO|14 still in production? I noticed a month or two back, when I was thinking of getting one, that it's very hard to obtain in the UK now. Google it and pretty well all the apparent results take you to retailer pages which say it's no longer available.

The iO|2 and the iO|26 are still going strong but the iO|14 is nowhere to be seen these days.
comradec
Frequent Poster

Postby Stef Andrews » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:24 am

comradec wrote:Is the iO|14 still in production?

Quick answer. No it's been discontinued.

I have an IO|2. Have run it flawlessly on pc and mac, and to show my support for the IO range, I now intend on buying the IO|26 (or 2)! As a unit it's great. The pre's do the job well, and the fact that it has DI inputs for guitars/basses etc is fantastic! Also as mentioned the inserts are a fantastic addition that make the unit worthwhile. It also has a midi in/out, which a lot of the units at this price don't seem to have. The IO range can all be bus powered - that's the 2 (USB) the discontinued 14 (4 mic pres) and the 26 (8 mic pres). This makes them really useful for mobile situations. I can safely reccommend the IO|2, and as I said, I'm strongly considering the IO|26 as I am now finding myself need more mic inputs and the IO|14 has been discontinued.

Great little box. Definitely recommend it.
Stef
Stef Andrews
Regular

Postby tea for two » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:38 am

I also remeber thinking at the time wouldnt it be gr8 if alesis next kb was a fusion + Io + lots of multipurpose knobs & 9 x 100mm sliders.
tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby Androo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:19 am

pipsqueak wrote:I'm thinking of buying the Alesis i02 audio interface, but can't find any reviews online, has anyone used this product before? any advice appreciated.
Thanks!

I have this i02 its stable and the preamps are good only thing for me (and why im changing it) is the usb1.0 and the 2 inputs.
Androo
Regular

Postby Scouser » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Hate to say this, but I have a IO14 and its been a complete nightmare! Or at least, it is with my set up. Sony vaio VGN AR41E - Vista. The drivers are not good, and it just makes everything else unstable. I dont doubt that it will work on some systems, just doesnt on mine.

I have sent it back to Alesis twice and it will have to go back again, hopefully to stay, the strange and annoying thing about this is that im sure it would work on some machines, what im trying to say is, im sure its not broken in anyway, through experiments ive tried out.

Ive tried all the usual suspects, different firewire cards (PCMCIA) etc, lots of changes in windows all to no avail. The card is now discontinued so I suppose that means no more driver development.

On the other hand if you like these and want to buy one, make me an offer ;)
Scouser
Frequent Poster

Postby jeffbruckner » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:49 am

Very Good unit.

Also had Presonus v44 - also excellent.

Now use lexicon ionix 8 inputs. (nice)

HOWEVER! kept the Alesis.

Use it as Mic pre - then use the inserts for My beloved valve compressors.

Saves going in, then out -to a compressor, then in again -using up 4 inputs to patch in 2 mics.

Quite fancy the 8 channel version.

Haven't had any issues with any units, (despite Mac OSX/Digidesign - bless em).
jeffbruckner