You are here

Mix vs Mix: The Reckoning

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Mix vs Mix: The Reckoning

Postby erinasaboy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:33 am

Hey all,

I posted a few weeks back for feedback on a mix and got some great notes. Since then I've had another couple of mixes done. So basically I've worked with 3 different mixers on 1 song, my aim being to pick my fave and do a few more songs with that mixer. But, I'm torn, as I like elements of each of the 3. (Also, I'm more a writer/instrumentalist than a producer, so I may be missing obvious things that others may catch.)

Would love to hear thoughts from everyone on which mix they like best, and/or pros and cons of each mix.

Looking for thoughts on mix/master more so than the songwriting/performance.

I have my own preferences, which I'll post way below so as not to bias anyone.

Also, I promise not to clog up the board with posts on this song any further after this hehe.

Mix 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/48vpmie7zvqrv23/Mix%201%20Hello%20EL.wav?dl=0

Mix 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/zaowlpegyh1ysz3/Mix%202%20Hello%20EL.wav?dl=0

Mix 3 https://www.dropbox.com/s/r2yrcvo46148j3f/Mix%203%20Hello%20EL.wav?dl=0

My Thoughts-
Mix 1 -
Pros - Love the kick and bass tone (could see those being the standard tone for further work), good overall balance, big, bright, and wide overall.
Cons - Toms are kinda thin, something about the lead and bg vocs seems a bit shrill to me at times. Maybe an EQ issue or maybe too compressed. Can't put my finger on it, but almost fatiguing to listen to.
**Excuse the lead vocal reverb here. I accidentally gave this mixer a track with bad comp/verb printed to it. Planning to correct that. So please don't discount this mix solely on that.

Mix 2 -
Pros - Really warm and natural sounding, overall balance is great, toms and snare sound perfect, and vocals/layers sound good to me. To me this is the clearest mix, but...
Cons - I don't love the kick or bass tone. This one lacks strength on the bottom to me, and overall may be a bit dry, and smaller sounding than the others.

Mix 3 -
Pros - Good overall balance, bg vocs have some kind of effect on them that I like quite a bit--almost choir-like, solid outro section, good clarity overall.
Cons - I tend to like more attack on bass, and in general more of a natural 'live' sound for drums and bass. This one is solid, but further from my original vision.

I keep leaning one way then the other. Obviously it comes down to taste, but would love some outside input.

Thanks in advance for anyone willing to take the time!
erinasaboy
Poster

Re: Mix vs Mix: The Reckoning

Postby blinddrew » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:28 pm

Not in the studio tonight but will give them a proper listen over the weekend. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...