You are here

Please recommend noise reducer plugin for Protools

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Please recommend noise reducer plugin for Protools

Postby DC-Choppah » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:50 pm

Tim Gillett wrote:Well if it there's a lot of noise and it's removed then of course the average level may go down. But maybe its also removing wanted music? There should be a check box to listen to "what has been removed".

Thanks. Yes, the problem is just me learning how to use this. I have it now.

To use in a similar way to Audacity where you have a sample of the noise, you have to do the following:

Insert RX as an insert on the noisy track.
Take RX out of Adaptive mode. Adaptive mode will subtract the music itself and lower the level. That was a problem. Adaptive mode removes too much. It must think that my instruments are 'noisy'.

Then when you get to a place in the track with just the noise, hit LEARN. It turns blue. Then hit again to stop learning. Make sure you don't catch any of the real wanted sound in there. I was doing that too, so it was subtracting the sound.

The spectrum it shows you should be the spectrum of the noise, not the music.

Now play the whole track, keeping out of adaptive mode, and it will use that noise sample.
There is no reduction in level when you do it this way. Just the background noise is gone.

Wonderful!

This used to take me a long time going in and out of Audacity. Worth th $29 for sure!

What I like is I can automate the threshold and reduction throughout the clip. As instruments fade into reverb, you can ride the threshold to make it sound natural, but low noise at the same time.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:17 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Then when you get to a place in the track with just the noise, hit LEARN. It turns blue. Then hit again to stop learning. Make sure you don't catch any of the real wanted sound in there. I was doing that too, so it was subtracting the sound.

I tend to use the RX Editor and just highlight the section with only noise. That way you can adjust the start and end point to make sure that you are only sampling noise. Does Protools allow you to just play a short region? That would achieve the same thing.

On high quality settings I find the denoiser to be fairly processor hungry so I prefer to create a new denoised file in the RX Editor and replace the original with the denoised file in the timeline.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tim Gillett » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:24 pm

As I understand it, adaptive mode tries to respond to changing unwanted noise levels. But even unchanging unwanted noise such as a noisy cassette recording is problematic! Stay with it. Push it to its limits to see both the possibilities and the limitations of the tool.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:25 am

James Perrett wrote:I tend to use the RX Editor and just highlight the section with only noise.

Hmmm. What is this 'editor' you speak of?

I am not sure I have that in the RX essentials?

Oh I see it now. It is standalone, not inside Protools.

Ok I see, you can load your audio in there to work with it the clip there by itself.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:46 am

DC, do you mean RX Elements?

Have a read of this:
https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/rx-as- ... ditor.html
Zukan

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:42 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:Oh I see it now. It is standalone, not inside Protools.

Ok I see, you can load your audio in there to work with it the clip there by itself.

Yes - it is an old habit from the days of using Adobe Audition where the restoration processing was all offline. However, I find it useful to keep both the processed and unprocessed audio in case I'm rich enough to afford Cedar in the future.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:12 am

Zukan wrote:DC, do you mean RX Elements?

Have a read of this:
https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/rx-as- ... ditor.html

Yes, Elements. The $29 jobby.

Thanks for the link to the article. I do see now how to launch the RX editor, and yes it is in this Elements package. You get to the RX editor outside of Protools.

Playing with this more in a musical context, I am really getting to like using the De-Noise as an insert, and automating the controls by riding the threshold and noise reduction.

Basically when the noise is exposed, you increase the amount of noise reduction, and when the noise is buried, you ease off so it has less of an impact on the sound. I couldn't do that with Audacity.

In Protools, when you get the track the way you like, you just bus record the track to print it and it is mix ready. Or do an offline bounce of the track to go faster. I prefer to listen to while bus recording in real time to catch any issues.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Willh3060 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:33 am

I use Accusonus and it's good
Willh3060

Postby Argiletonne » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:28 am

Problem with plugin's people overlook the ones with bad graphics.
Some with bad simple graphics perform better than overstated and over graphically represented and advertised.
I think most people will agree Izotope is made for dummies and never fails to do lots of fixes very easily.
Steinberg Wavelab is not as easy or smooth sounding as the stuff Izotope had previously that came with the Sound Forge Mastering software. No one can own that version without the old Forge but it worked in a way that seemed it was too good. Like I was using it thinking how is it possible to be able to be this good. If you like that sort of lies on the audio tape vibe where everything is perfect and smooth go for it. Otherwise try and take a walk on the wild side.
Argiletonne
Regular

Clayton Brown

Previous