You are here

need to replace my monitors (Spirit Absolut 2)

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

need to replace my monitors (Spirit Absolut 2)

Postby tc99 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:19 pm

i've been using Spirit Absolut 2 for 6/7 years, but they are starting to fail on me, and i need to get some new ones.

i haven't even looked at what's available since i bought these years ago. i really like these absolut's, but i believe they are not making them anymore. so any suggestions for a similar type of unit. i had a quick look at turnkey's and they only were selling active monitors, are passive one less common now?
tc99
Regular

Re: need to replace my monitors (Spirit Absolut 2)

Postby forumuser695516 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Theres a multitude of them out there to choose from these days.
The short of it is, you need to check some out and see which ones float your boat. You know how it is.. One mans meat is another mans poison. Or something like that!?
But yes, you do seem to see less & less passive monitors these days. Manufacturers seem to be favouring the active variety more..

While im here.. What part is failing on your Ab 2's? If it is the woofers, drop me a PM if you like, as I have a several new/unused ones here for Ab 2's & 4P's.

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby tc99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:14 pm

paul, thanks for the advice and offer, but it's tweeters i need
tc99
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:25 pm

http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/showf ... ain=377452

Thread from 2006 about replacing the tweeters. But as others point out, you'll probably be better off upgrading.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby forumuser695516 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:06 pm

Sorry, I can't help with tweeters. They are likely a pain to get hold of now, so if you can't find any, then I expect you are probably better off taking this as an opportunity to upgrade to some new & better monitors.
Although manufacturers seem to be preferring the active route these days, theres still a handful of reasonable passive ones to choose from.

Good luck! Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:02 pm

I got a tweeter from soundcraft themselfs about 4 years ago for about £30). If your lucky they may have some sat in a warehouse somewhere but admittedly you'll be very lucky if so.

What I did do a few months after the fix was upgrade to another pair anyhow. I went for some Genelecs and it was like night and day the difference. I use to the love the spirts but I went back and listened to past mixes i'd done on them and it was apparent that I could have done a far better mix on the new speakers.

The's some good options at the bottom cheaper end. Krks are a personal fave around the 300/400 mark. I'd save up a bit more through as your truly do get what you pay for with speakers.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby tc99 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:25 pm

i've already had to replace a tweeter once about a year ago, so i know how hard it is to find one.

pete, which genalecs did you get. are they active , because then it's like replacing 2 components, if you're going from passive. i agree you get what you pay for.

is there any specific advantages in active over passive and vice versa? also with buying current monitors, do most manafactures have spares readily available if anything fails. i bought the Spirits just as they were being discontinued
tc99
Regular

Postby JamesSimpson » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:02 pm

I think at the studio we have 3 absolute 2 monitors spare, I can't check till monday now though.....

As others say perhaps you'd be better off upgrading unless you really like them?
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby tc99 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:40 am

james, i'd definately be interested if you have any spares.

i'm sure there are better monitors, but i am happy with the spirits, and really don't want to drop over a couple of hundred on new monitors if i don't have to
tc99
Regular

Postby g4zza » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:52 am

Did anyone ever source any tweeters for the Absolute 2's?

I have blown another now. Several have gone over the years.

Never had trouble before but now they are not available.
g4zza