You are here

Only two x64 compatible 8x8 USB Midi Controllers.....seriously??

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Only two x64 compatible 8x8 USB Midi Controllers.....seriously??

Postby The Pearl Works » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Only ESI and MOTU appear to meet the demand. Or is there some other firm I don't know about?
The Pearl Works
Regular

Re: Only two x64 compatible 8x8 USB Midi Controllers.....seriously??

Postby mhaigh » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 pm

yep seems like it. you can daisy-chain 3 Cakewalk UM-3G together to give 9 x 9 midi option which works in 64 bit...
mhaigh
Regular

Postby The Pearl Works » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:19 pm

3 of those will cost more than the MOTU though.

What a crap situation. Has everybody on x64 platforms gone ITB now?
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:35 pm

No, not totally ITB, but I have a pair of MOTU MIDI Express 128s waiting in the wings to replace my Steinberg MIDEX8s at the next PC upgrade. I also couldn't find anything else more suitable.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

The Pearl Works wrote:What a crap situation. Has everybody on x64 platforms gone ITB now?

No, I suspect quite a few musicians are holding back from a 64-bit upgrade because they can't get hold of the drivers :headbang:

Finding any Windows 7 drivers for 8-in/8-out Windows MIDI interfaces is also a problem, as I highlight in this month's PC Notes column.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MarkOne » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:48 am

THe ESI and the MOTU are pretty much the ONLY 8x8 midi interfaces on the market - period! Yamaha and Roland dumped theirs years ago. I guess the world market for large MIDI interfaces is actually quite small now, and just doesn't justify the investment, now so many people are using virtual instruments, and coupled with the fact that many newer keyboards have USB connectivity.

THose of us who have a whole bunch of hardware are somewhat knackered :frown:

Those MOTUs are excellent though, built like a tank ... Haven't heard great things about the ESI though
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby The Pearl Works » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

I've created a virtual machine running XP and spin it up on my Win7x64 system using VMPlayer. My AMT8 has installed without any problems.

I'm now trying to get a MidiOverLan product to work between the VM and Host. In theory it's do-able, but the latest version of MidiOverLan (3.x) doesn't seem to work in the same way version 1.x did. It's doesn't see the AMT8's ports for some reason??! :?
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby danny_g » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:26 pm

How many does the world need, seriously? I'm running an ESI 8x8 and it works flawlessly and tight in UbuntuStudio Karmic.

The advantage of the ESI & MOTU 8x8's is Class Compliance - which basically means you can use them on a proper operating system, not just on Social Control Mechanisms like VISTA & it's even more sinister recent offspring.

(Vista is an acronym for Very Intrusive Surveillance Technology Application, btw)
danny_g
Poster

Postby The Pearl Works » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks for the input Danny.

Enjoy your real OS.
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby danny_g » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm, Pearl? ;-)

Psst, wanna buy my non-class-compliant jerry-built, way over-priced Midex8 ? Yours for half a crown!

Psst, wanna continue throwing money at vendors who just want you to go on paying through the nose for their bug fixes?

Psst, wanna support vocational coders doing it for the love of music?

Then try a proper OS, like I said.

True, there's a horrendously steep learning curve (look on it as a test of character, IQ and determination to get out from under unscrupulous business practices) but those who have overcome the apparent anarchy and chaos have superbly running, very flexible modular systems that hardly ever crash, which can also run most windows software almost seamlessly via WINE - can't be bad for a total freebee, can it?

http://ubuntustudio.org/KarmicKoala

I'm no evangelist but I do know the sheer joy of no longer bashing my head against an intractable and unresponsive corporate brick wall! ;-)
danny_g
Poster

Postby The Pearl Works » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Another Microsoft / Steinberg basher.

Yawn.
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby mhaigh » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm no evangelist but I do know the sheer joy of no longer bashing my head against an intractable and unresponsive corporate brick wall! ;-)

wow so you've not tried win 7 yet then??!! i'd have thought running an OS with no off-the-shelf drivers for anything would lead to more of the above, not less!
mhaigh
Regular

Postby Shreddie » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
The Pearl Works wrote:What a crap situation. Has everybody on x64 platforms gone ITB now?

No, I suspect quite a few musicians are holding back from a 64-bit upgrade because they can't get hold of the drivers :headbang:
Some are still quite happy with their 32 bit systems too, I certainly don't feel the need to upgrade from XP.
Shreddie
Regular

Postby The Pearl Works » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 pm

That's fair enough, however the memory limitation of Windows XP has been driving me mad for quite a while now, so the upgrade in my case was long over due.
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby necromunger » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 pm

however the memory limitation of Windows XP has been driving me mad for quite a while now, so the upgrade in my case was long over due

I'm in the same position. i have two muppet audio 8x8s that still dont have drivers for win 7 64. after over a year of emails asking them for drivers and filling in there form for the beta drivers with not even 1 reply i give up. cant wait till 2355 for poxy midi drivers when i have drivers for everything else including a printer :headbang:

so looks like I'm of to motu to spend more money :frown:
necromunger
Regular

Next